Author Topic: Stock dimensions  (Read 535 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Stock dimensions
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
The straight dimensions on a  TC Hawkens can be a bit of a challenge for some and downright tough for others. This was a real problem for a friend being introduced for the first time to front stuffers and more than a slight issue for me as well. I am about to modify not only the comb, but give the the overall stock a bit more of a finished look. Just wondered what others have done to address both issues. Pictures would be great.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Stock dimensions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
I had no need to modify my Traditions Hawken nor my Pedersoli Kodiak stocks, here's a couple shots of both.  If you want dimentions let me know.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
I just purchased a used .54 T/C Hawken this week.  I immediately noticed it has about a 1/4" more drop at the comb than my Renegade.  I've owned the Renegade for 30 years and it's never really fit my face.  The Hawken fits beautifully. 

I'll be interested in replies from the knowledgeable ones.  Lowering the comb must involve reshaping the butt and plate as well, doesn't it?

PC

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
a feller over on traditional muzzleloading cheap recently posted about changes he made to his t/c hawken stock by comparin' it to pictures in track of the wolf catalog. don't know if it's exactly what yer lookin' for but it looked good in the after pictures. it's in the general gunsmithin' part of the forum. for what it's worth and luck to ya friend, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:41:23 AM »
Thanks for the responces guys. I am going to wait until my tang sight gets here and mounted as it may change my needs. But more than likely not. I have to really crowd the comb in order to see the rear sight and my intent is to simply reshape the cheek piece to better fit my dimensions. I would while at it refine some of the lines in the stock to make it more individual. Inletted items like the lock, trigger guard and but plate would not need to be changed.