Author Topic: Track of the Wolf kit guns  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Co. Batguano

• Trade Count: (0)
Track of the Wolf kit guns
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:35 AM »
Anyone got any experience with their kit guns?  I'm thinking of ordering an 1803 Contract rifle,or their 1795 Contract rifle, but caliber choice is .50 or .54, and a rifled barrel, which is ok for the 1803, bot not offered in a .69 smoothbore, which was protypical for the 1795.  My second / third choice is their 1st Model Brown Bess, which is a .77 smoothbore. The Bess lock is just a bag of castings.  No holes are located or drilled.
Regardless, does anyone have experience in putting their kits together?  I like to get opinions from as many places as possible before I plunk down a bunch of money, or commit to 40 hours+ of work.
Advice?
I have time for advice now too, as , I called them yesterday, and they are out of barrels for almost all their long guns for the time being.

Advice?

Offline gvnut

Re: Track of the Wolf kit guns
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »
I've built their Vincent kit and it is a great little gun.  I've had nothing but good experiences when dealing with Track.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
i have been looking at their north west trade gun kit

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »
I buy my flints from them but cannot speak for their kits.  I have had excellent service from them and readily recommend them to anyone looking for parts and supplies.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:01:17 AM »
I've ordered lots of parts and supplies from Track and have gotten very prompt and proper service. I've only built one rifle from their kits and if was everything I expected. You do need to study their catalog carefully, some kits are almost a "bolt it together and shoot it" sort of kit, like the 1803 kit, but others are more like a "parts set" with lots of work left for you to do. You need to know what you really want. But don't be afraid to call them up if you have any questions, they are knowledgeable and helpful people. I have lots of catalogs and parts sources but I use Track for about 90% of my orders because they usually have it and will ship it promptly.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
I thought the 1795 contract rifles were .49 caliber...Seems strange that they would have made rifles in .69 caliber as the advantage of a rifle is a smaller bore, faster ball, so it shoots flatter...

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »
I've done a good bit of business with TotW and always been happy with them.  Especially the actual size pictures of each part they used to have in their catalog.  Great help in drawing up plans for a build!   :D

Actually, I didn't know they even had "kit" guns.   :-\  I'm going to have to take a look.  I have seen what Coyote Joe refers to as "parts sets," which is a very good descriptive term, but never bought one, preferring to select each part for a planned build individually.

But if they are part sets, like CJ says, there is a LOT of work to do!  We're talking about the parts being "as cast" brass and/or steel, a lot of wood removal/shaping/inletting of parts into the stock, even drilling/tapping the touch hole in the barrel!

So if you think that 40 hours of work is a lot, I'd make darn sure what I got was a true "just bolt everything together" kit if I were you!   :o

Whatever you decide, enjoy yourself!  It's 'spose to be fun, not a chore!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
The ones I've fooled with were more like parts sets than kits.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline DDZ

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »
The rifles being spoke of are parts sets, not kit guns like a TC hawken or a Lyman GPR. Although I know many do refer to a parts set as a kit. If this is going to be your first rifle build, its a good idea to get some reference on the subject in the way of books, and or videos. The rifle you are speaking of does require a good bit of work and you will have a good bit more time in it than 40 hours, along with a lot of patience. Unless you have built rifles before. Even then I believe it will take more than 40 hours of work.
I never got a parts set from track, but what I've heard they do a good job. I have heard that at times it may be a long wait to get a barrel. Don't know if that is true, just what I've read. The rifles from Track are not as historically correct as some others like Chambers, but of coarse you will pay more for a Chambers parts set. There are other good suppliers of parts sets, like TVM, Dunlap, Pecatonicia River, Cabin Creek, and others.  TVM will build a rifle for you complete. They will even do carving and engraving. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. They will also build the rifle as far as you want, or just sell the parts set. I have seen some of the rifles they have built, and they do an excellent job.
I'm in the process of getting a parts set from either TVM or Chambers. Just undecided yet if I want to spend the extra money for a Chambers. 
A good place to find answers is the Muzzle loader forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there when it comes to building rifles.   

Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn