Author Topic: Don was a bust  (Read 1185 times)

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
Don was a bust
« on: July 30, 2011, 03:11:04 AM »
Well tropic storm Don was a major disappointment. We were excited to see the storm headed to Texas and thought we would be getting some rain, but nada, zip, zilch, nuttin.  Anyone else get any rain from Don?  Time to start watching the tropics again. 

Received an email from folks with land close to mine in Carta Valley that said they believed the whitetail does had abandoned their fawns this year due to the drought.  I sure hope that isn't true. They were seeing lots of Axis though. 
markc

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
Re: Don was a bust
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:49:31 AM »
Not sure about the does leaving their fawns but I was at the Ranch a couple od weeks ago and did see quite a few Axis running around.

I will be headed out next weekend (if I can get some help) to put up some new feedes. The hogs completely destroyed the two I put out last year. I guess it was my fault for using those stupid sectional legs on them. I bought a couple much better ones this year (1-piece steel legs) and need to get them up and running.

If I remember correctly, my ranch is pretty close to yours (markc). I am off of 377 and CR460 (9 miles in). Maybe one day we can hook up and you could share some of your secrets with me.

Cheers!

Shooter

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
Haven't been in TX for some years,maybe....................... :)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline markc

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »
Shooter, yes we are fairly close. Headed out 4am in the morning. We are off RR 2523, and CR 630. We are about 6 miles south of 366, and 9 miles from Carta Valley. 
markc

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
My place is southwest of Abilene, several weeks ago a friend said he found two dead fawns that were abandoned.  Not only the deer, the quail and turkey are abandoding their nest due to the drought. I have (Usually) a good spring on my place, it was dug out several years ago to provide a tank about three feet deep, seven feet wide and about ten feet long, I have never seen it dry unrtil this year.  There is still water, but not enough to pool.  The local weather is the worst I have ever seen here, we now have 57 days over 100 degrees and haven't had rain in a long while, we are currently 17 inches below average.

The bad thing, the "experts" are saying this may go on for another year.  If it does all the lakes will be dryed up, I won't even be able to wash my butt.

Offline markc

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »
I did see one tiny fawn with it's mother and another doe on my place this past Wednesday evening.  It was tiny for this time of year, but was at least alive and moving along well.  Pray for rain!
markc

Offline markc

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
Well, last night beginning around 1am, we got rain at the ranch. Somewhere between 1-2 inches fell and soaked in pretty good. One neighbor reported 1" and the Martin ranch reported 2". Nice. We are having a wildlife watering system placed within sight of our cabin, but any rain fall is wonderful...More is forecast for today and tomorrow too.
markc

Offline markc

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:59 PM »
Rain fell in Edwards Co last night beginning around 1am. One neighbor reported 1", and another reported 2".  Keep it coming.
markc