Author Topic: binoculars for hunting  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: binoculars for hunting
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »
Have owned a bunch of bino's over the years, but as one who when he finds something he really likes gets stuck in a rut with them forever...

For general hunting, a little pair of Redfield 8X24 roof prism compacts that I bought in the 80's (and cost a lot for then).  They fold to a little larger than the size of a pack of cigarettes, are heavy for their size, have great glass, diopter adjusters, and are Japan era Redfields.  They get it done for small to big game out to 3-400 yards, and are an easy carry in a padded small camera belt case bought at the same time.

But my main bino's are a pair of Nikon HCF 10-42 LX's, one of those way over $1000 models with all the bells and whistles.    They have been a favorite model for birders for a long time because of their glass, but they would be good to go for just about anything if you don't mind packing the weight.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline jackruff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
Eagle Optic Ranger SRT 6X32s.  ( eagleoptics.com )  They are light, rugged, waterproof, sharp and clear right to the edge, and don't cost an arm and a leg - between $200 and $300.  In the woods I don't need more than 6 power (more power means less field of view), and with only 6 power, any objective lens more than 32 mm is not needed - just more weight and bulk.

Ya got that right. My old time favorite was my Steiner 6x30 binocular. Faye decided she needed them more than me so now they are hers. I still prefer a 6x or 7x for woods hunting over any other but these days use a 8x since few seem to make good 6x and 7x binoculars anymore. Brunton used to make a 5x that also should have been a good woods bino.
You really should go to the Eagle Optics website and check out their 6X32's.  I bought mine several years ago after a lot of research.  They are very good; I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
I tried the 6 power Yosimite and the 8 power as well , I like the 10 power better for my uses (woods and fields) aqnd have settled on a pair of Bushnell Infinity 10.5x45.Again for me(others might see things differently) The bushnell infinity binocular is a clearer, better binocular than the legend,(tried them as well).Just my opinion and I am certainly not an expert !

Craig