Author Topic: update!  (Read 703 times)

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
update!
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:46:01 PM »
quick back story
223 50gr speer sp, imr 3031,24gr loaded in 2004 with once fired 5.56 cases
the problem i bought an ar and in the interest of loading in volume i switched powders to h335 (meters 100% better) , while attempting to use up all my old loads a problem arose half way through a mag  the gun jams,cleared jam racked a fresh round,round won't chamber i figured dirty chamber no problem,grabbed my h&r fired one shot shell popped out without a neck, neck section left in chambers.
  now for update  i was trying to pull the ones that are left. these bullets were not crimped yet i'm having lots of trouble getting them out some have even ripped the necks completely off from pulling, other problem bottom of bullets are covered with corrosion , btw i'm using a hammer type puller
oops sry forgot to add my question has anyone seen this before?i'm assuming they drew moisture,would that make the powder swell without destroying it,if so would it change burn characteristics?

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: update!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
Are you trying to save the bullets or cases if it has to be one or the other?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »
bullets, just trying to figure out what happened and how to avoid this in the future

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:19:08 AM »
RCBS makes a reasonably priced die for pulling bullets in the Rock Chucker (or other ram style press), with specific collet per caliber, that is CONSIDERABLY easier than the impact bullet puller for a whole lot of reasons.

Or

You might consider scribing the neck of each of the cases (down the long axis of the case) and separating (total loss of case) at the scribe mark to allow the bullet to be removed.

Or

Use some PB Blaster or other extremely aggressive penetrating oil to reduce the grip on the round.  This will foul the powder and possibly the primer, but powder and primer do not seem to be the goal.

Eventually, the (plastic style)  impact bullet puller will shatter.  Mine did.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »
It sounds like moisture got in the case . Or maybe it could be a chemical from when cleaned or loaded or maybe sizing lube . I stored some reloading stuff in a shead and in certian weather conditions sweat will be on the stuff. Was ammo in an air tight container ? out in a shead ? , in a truck or car for long periods of time ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
  i only have about 20 left, i originally figured it was just bad brass (mid 90's lc headstamp) so planned to scrap after unloading now i'm not so sure,these were not compressed loads yet the powder is up into the neck and some of the bullet bases are deformed like they were smashed.
  when i bought my house i had the smallest bedroom for my gun room i had to move everything to the basement when a friend needed a place to stay, i think this is were the moisture came from, now i set it all up in my bedroom,any one have a problem with a/c and condensation? chemical, cleaned in lyman media(the green kind) rcbs case lube on body,powdered mica inside necks
   they were stored in midway flip top 50rd boxes air tight no, but pretty tight,this is the only ammo i had any trouble with i still have some 38spc in slip top boxes sitting down there i pull a box out now and again and it works fine.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »
I move and put stuff in shead until I could set it up. Most in 5 gal plastic buckets. Some how thru. sweat or other cause some were wet . Hah to run bullets thru. case cleaner to get clean. Lost some primers also.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »
20 rds of the old stuff left? I'd chunk the lot. It wouldn't be worth my time to try to save those bullets.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:14:35 AM »
i had planned to save the cases but they are pretty well destroyed after pulling the bullets.

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
If you are willing to work with range brass, there doesn't seem to be a shortage, at least not around here. I just got through prepping 600 pieces of brass to load. I not picky about my brass for 3 gun or plinking. Honestly, I can't tell a difference in using mixed brass for my applications. If I'm working up a hunting load, I sort by head stamp, otherwise I don't concern myself with it. Life is good!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:20:47 AM »
i use range brass alot the military brass was all i had at the time i've since accumulated e few hundred comercial that i use whenever possible