Author Topic: compressed loads  (Read 432 times)

Offline stxhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
compressed loads
« on: August 21, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »
Working on loading some 300 blackout rounds. 125gr Nosler B-tip with Accurate 5744 powder. Following Accurates loading chart I charged my brass with 20gr of powder and found it almost filled the case. Powder came up to the bottom of the case neck. If I press the bullet to the desired OAL it is going to compress the load slightly. I have tried to settle the powder some what by tapping the case etc. I know a lot of folks shoot compressed loads but I have never run acoss this. 5744 is a very fast burning powder so I am cautious to continue without advice so I don't damage my new Noveske barrel!!! Any advice?

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: compressed loads
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »
Not familiar with the round or powder in question, so I cant comment there.  I will say that a certian amount of powder compression is OK, as long as it is not to the extent it forces the bullet back forward in the case under use.  When using a charge that nearly fills the case, in the past I have used a brass drop tube 16 inches long ( a common trick used by black powder shooters)  It allows powder to more fully settle in the case, and you would be amazed at the increased seating depth it can give you.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
Not familiar with the round or powder in question, so I cant comment there.  I will say that a certian amount of powder compression is OK, as long as it is not to the extent it forces the bullet back forward in the case under use.  When using a charge that nearly fills the case, in the past I have used a brass drop tube 16 inches long ( a common trick used by black powder shooters)  It allows powder to more fully settle in the case, and you would be amazed at the increased seating depth it can give you.

Larry
that does work but ive had almost as good luck by slowly sprinkeling the powder from the scale pan into the funnel. it can give yu as much a 1/8 in of case space or more.

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
Thanks hillbill and Bigeasy. Have heard about the brass tube trick. Do you put the tube to the bottom of the case and fill it then pull it out??

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
The one I use is flared at the end, and fits over the mouth of the case, allowing the powder to drop into the case, with the flair allowing for use on cases of various diameters.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline stxhunter

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »
Now I understand! Thanks Bigeasy.