Author Topic: The disarray that is Wisconsin  (Read 508 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
The disarray that is Wisconsin
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:02:19 AM »
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/20110802/OSH0602/108020349/Editorial-New-low-politics-personal-destruction?odyssey=nav|head

In a sea of swirling claims and counter-claims, truths, half-truths, white lies and gross exaggerations, it is tempting to throw up one's hands in disgust and resignation that such is the state of politics. Just seven days from a series of historic Wisconsin State Senate recall elections, it is especially tempting given weeks of bombardment by political messages.
To be sure, policing each and every phony, false and jaw dropping claim made in political ads would be futile. Even so, there are some cases that are so egregious and detrimental to maintaining a sliver of civility that remaining silent could be construed as tacit support. A mailer campaign against Sen. Randy Hopper, R-Empire, by the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund is so viscerally vicious that the only conclusion one can draw is that the group is intent on Hopper's personal destruction.
The mailers have attempted to make light of Hopper's divorce while highlighting a series of measures approved by Gov. Scott Walker and Republican majorities in the Legislature to balance the state budget. Certainly, controversial votes and positions taken by Hopper are fair game for criticism and rebuttal, even caricature, conjecture and exaggeration. The First Amendment, rightfully so, gives wide platitude and protection for commentary about politics and elections.
While we'd expect that Hopper's opponents in the 18th Senate recall election would strongly condemn his votes, making Hopper's personal life a crux of the ad campaign is wrong, particularly when recent mailers have made prominent use of phrases such as "Alleged Mistress" and "Cheaters Never Win."
Suffice to say Hopper is not alone nor a rarity in today's society in his divorce. If the intention of the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund is to make an appeal to some universal value of family, the mailers have instead made a mockery of that. The crass politicization of "family values" is gaudy by the politicians who make it a staple of their campaigns and those who'd mock a man for his perceived failure to live up to those standards.
The group's mailers are not just a tad distasteful or over the line. They exemplify an alarming – and disgusting - escalation in the politics of personal destruction that are polluting Wisconsin politics.

Just part of a 3 page article that shows how low both sides have gone to maintain their power. How do I vote? Easy, I vote for the most pro 2nd Amendment candidate.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: The disarray that is Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
Looks like they want more bad times. Maybe more of their lost factory jobs will come our direction, oh well.  ::)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
Sounds to me like the politico's from Illinois have infected Wisconsin. I always enjoyed north central and western Wi. but the Milwaukee to Neenah area was too much like northern Illinois for my tastes. Illiot wannabe's I call them.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:11:10 PM »
This re-call circus is going to be fun..... 8)

..TM7

We are going to be in a perpetual election cycle. If even one of those recall candidates are defeated, this will lead to a recall of Walker and others for 2012. We have seen that the left will never, ever give up. The out of state national money advertizing has nothing to do with the current issues Wisconsin has undertaken. We are now hearing only issues concerning Federal government process advertized as reason for these recall elections. Wierd indeed.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:53:03 AM »
And flash mobs hit the state fair in Milwaukee. Don't know why,but I don't think that their conservative, white, right wing Tea Party members!! ;D gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman