Author Topic: For thoes who dont believer primers make a differnce  (Read 747 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
For thoes who dont believer primers make a differnce
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
I was shooting my 77 ruger 264 mag today and got the load developement down to a 120 ballistic tip with 70 grains of re25 and a federal match mag primer. It was about the only load that has shot moa in that gun. For grins i went home and loaded 5 with a ww mag primer and a cci mag primer and 5 more with the fed. First group was with the cci and it went 1 1/2 for 5 next was the ww and the group opened to 3 1/4!! Then back to the fed match mag and 5 went just under an inch. Ive got in arguements with a few guys that dont believe primers can effect accuracy as much as powder or bullets. Some guys i know will only buy one brand of primers and thats it. They really dont know what there missing
blue lives matter

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: For thoes who dont believer primers make a differnce
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »
I'm a BELIEVER! I proved this to myself years ago. I've also had folks tell me it don't matter, but me and you know differently.

HWD

Offline parkergunshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
Lloyd,
This is why benchrest shooters have use match primers for the past 40 years, primers can make as much difference as any other component except for the custom match grade bullets for them.
I also use Match primers in standard and magnum versions in addition to the small rifle ones, started using them in the 1970's..

U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »
I agree with you. Primers do make a BIG difference in accuracy. They don't have to be the high dollar match primers either. Some of the most accurate loads I have worked up lately have been with WOLF primers once I learned how to get them seated properly.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »
   Isn't it also possible that if you started with CCI or WW primers and worked up a load useing them you might get that 1" group?  I had a load worked up for my 222Mag. Using Rem. 7 1/2 primers. Tried some Fed. primers. Group was no longer 5/8" it was 5". Still think i could have worked up a load with the feds. and got the 5/8 back.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »
shot1 and bobg both bring up good points too. Match primers dont nessisarily mean match accuracy. Ive got other loads that the ww primers out do the match mags and the same goes for other guns. About the only place i see them make a differnce accross the board is in small cases like the 223 222 and 22 hornet. Also like bobg said. theres a good chance if i started with a ww primer and stuck to it and bumped the powder charge up a 1/2 a grain at a time i might find a moa load with them too using the same bullet and primer. that been said i go about loading for a mag a bit differnt then i do a standard caliber. I want speed in a mag and cant see any use for them that doesnt involve absoulute top end loads. If i want a 270 id use a 270. So i start with top end loads with maybe 3 or 4 powders and usually use a fed mag primer as through the years theyve been a bit better for me. Once i find my load then for grins ill try a few other primers but im not going to back off a powder charge to use another primer. Even in standard rounds like the 06 and others in that catagory i rarely download. I have enough smaller guns that if i want less power i grab a differnt gun. Bottom line to is threw the years ive found in more cases then not i get my best accuracy on the top end of loads for a caliber. I know others have different opinions on this matter and i respect them but i dont buy a vette and pull a spark plug. Point is theres a big differnce in primers and guys give up on guns they cant find a majic load for and never even bother to try a differnt primer.
   Isn't it also possible that if you started with CCI or WW primers and worked up a load useing them you might get that 1" group?  I had a load worked up for my 222Mag. Using Rem. 7 1/2 primers. Tried some Fed. primers. Group was no longer 5/8" it was 5". Still think i could have worked up a load with the feds. and got the 5/8 back.
blue lives matter

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »
I am a big fan of Federal Gold Match primers. But we know different brass and flash holes and calibers don't always like the same primer. The power of the rifles stricker spring and length of pin Etc. can change the game. One size just never fits all cartridges. ???

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
I believe.

An old Speer book showed CCI Mag primers with IMR 4227 for stuff like the 44 mag, 41 mag.  I used them and had great loads worked up.  Got a newer Speer manual and it showed CCI normal primers.  I switched and my guns shot terrible groups.  I went back to using the old book since I saw no adverse signs of pressure.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »
. Ive got in arguements with a few guys that dont believe primers can effect accuracy as much as powder or bullets.

Of course, that info is even in beginner books. They say if you change primers you need to rework the load.
 You simply can't change primers and expect the same groups with the same powder charge as a standard, sometimes you might hit it, but most times not. You need to rework the load.

So saying one primer is better than another because it won't work with the same load won't prove the first primer is best for accuracy, It could be as little as .2 of a grain differance than dials the load in again.
 And unless those different loads/primers are run over a chrony you won't know which "High End" charge is best.

One primer will be best for that load because that's what the load was worked up for,,,

There's another way to load too,,
 You can say "I want a load this big" (choose your charge) then swap primers until you find one that works best, and tune it from there,
'a horse apiece`

found elsewhere

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:50 AM »
dont get me wrong i never said one primer was better then the other. I use them all. Thats why i had them on the shelf to try. My point was that every differnt load will prefer a differnt primer. If i would have gone up or down a grain of powder my results would have probably been just he oposite.
blue lives matter