Author Topic: clothing material for stalking?  (Read 677 times)

Offline jakeemt

• Trade Count: (3)
clothing material for stalking?
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:42:28 PM »
Wool is near silent I have made myself a few shirts and have a nice hoodie in this material for this purpose. What about pants? Most cammo gear is to loud when it swishes together. Any brands out there? Or am I stuck making my own if so what material?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: clothing material for stalking?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:35 AM »
I find that you can wear practically anything in muted colors and fabrics, but I like the fleece-styled pants mostly.  Fleece doesn't "scratch" when briars and limbs brush by.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:35:55 AM »
fleese when its warm and wool when its cold.
blue lives matter

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »
These men are right on both counts.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
Long experience was my teacher.   When I knew I would be hunting I did tend to wear basic muted solid colors, nothing flashy, reflective or too dark, in whatever fabrics fit the weather expected.   But for me pretty much whatever I was wearing always worked just fine too in a pinch.   For pants, I easily wore far more Levi's than everything else combined, even in the dead of winter snow country.   I don't believe in the need for camo for hunting (or fishing - give me a break), but I guess they are great for parties and shopping mall excursions, and when the "game" is man.  Didn't wear camo for bow hunting or over 50 years of predator hunting.   Bought some once for some foolish reason, but never wore them.  If your spot and stock and calling skills are good you simply don't need it, or anything else special for that matter IMO.

YMMV naturally, and that's fine.   Whatever gives you confidence and helps you be a better hunter can't be called wrong.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
Totally agree with you Larry, camo is not needed it's just a fashion statement really.

Yes I wear camo pretty much 365 days a year but even when hunting I don't kid myself it's gonna make any real difference in the outcome. All my hunting gear is camo or one pattern or another cuz most all the stuff made for hunting is camo. If it weren't I'd not worry about it.

Chuck Adams is a now famous bow hunter who has at least as many sponsors as any other hunter out there. In his early days before he was a magazine writer and famous he wore jeans and a stocking cap with a plaid shirt. He stalked up on some B&C and P&Y animals of all sorts that way. He even wrote in his early days of how camo was unnecessary. Now that he has a camo sponsor he is clothed in it head to toe. It's all about money.

I wear camo cuz I like the look not cuz the animals care.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:43:32 PM »
Yep, I totally agree with your "just a fashion statement" Bill.   But I'm not interested in it even for casual wear.   Camo is all just sales hype presented to human eyes who can see all the different colors and patterns... and open their wallets.   It's not the color or the pattern, its movement and air flow a spot and stalk hunter should be concerned about.

If your game is deer, I've read that they see the violet end of the color spectrum, and may see ultraviolet below it.   So blues to violets they see, but greens, oranges and reds are just shades of gray to them.

Coyotes supposedly see "in shades of blue and yellow", with some colors appearing as shades of gray to white to them.    And they can not see the detail of camo patterns beyond a very short distance, so they blend together into a solid blob to them in some shade of gray.

The story I like about camo was related from an organized predator hunt a few years ago in AZ sponsored by another forum.   To prove the point that camo is not needed for hunting even called in close predators, one participant wore a Santa Claus suit, climbed up on a 6' ladder and with mouth calls called in and shot coyotes.    Was easy to do though if its true coyotes can't see red anyway.   ;)

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus