Author Topic: Source for Thompson Flintlocks?  (Read 832 times)

Offline PeterCartwright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Source for Thompson Flintlocks?
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
I'm toying with putting together a half-stock (round ball) flinter on a Thompson stock.  There seem to be a lot of used stocks available.  Green Mountain makes drop in barrels, both percussion and flint for the Thompson.  The trick is, finding a source for Thompson locks.  I've found an L & R lock that is supposed to drop into the Thompson inlet, so that's a fall back option.  Anybody know a source for Thompson flint locks?

PC

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Source for Thompson Flintlocks?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
You can buy them directly from TC.  I believe the price is something like $140.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
That's good to know.  Thanks!  The L & R locks are about that price as well.  Wouldn't that be a better deal?

PC

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
Some people would say so.  I'm not sure I'm one of them.  TC's are very good locks.  The L&R have flat springs and are more "authemtic", whereas the TC's have coil springs.

Understand that my experience is very limited.  I have one L&R flintlock that I bought to convert a Pederloli rifle from precussion to flint.  I don't think it sparks as well as the Lyman lock on my Great Plains flinter.  Also, be sure the check with TC on that price.  I was going from memory of a price check I made a year ago, and with my fuzzy memory may well have it wrong. 
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:42:11 AM »
I don't do Ebay but others have said locks turn up there pretty often. Lyman locks for the Trade Rifle or Great Plains Rifle will also fit a T/C.  The L&R is not exactly a "drop in", it requires some work on the inlet to make room for the flat mainspring. I do believe they are a better lock than the coil spring T/C or Lyman, not because of tradition but because of internal geometry.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »
If you are going to buy the stock, barrel and lock, why not do it right and order a more accurate stock from one of the online sources...

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:00:29 AM »
I'm just looking for an easy, down and dirty, working flinter.  I've done the build thing, starting with stock blank and going the whole way on a pre-Revolutionary Lancaster pattern gun, but I'm looking for something a bit more handy to chase Bambi.  Just can't get into inline guns.  No soul.  I'm not put off by Thompson's stocks.  I think they look nice, even if they're not exactly historical.

Thanks for the information on the L & R locks.  I'm not afraid of doing some fine-tuning on the inletting.  I was just wanting the lock plate to fit.  I'm also (obviously) hoping the flashpan will match up properly with the touch hole on Green Mountain barrels.

PC

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
I'm just looking for an easy, down and dirty, working flinter.  ...

PC

I assume you are also looking on the lower priced side of things as well.  DGW has the following complete rifles (new) for less than $450.  Including a Lyman Trade rifle for $432.00 plus shipping.
I would not do this "bitsa build" just to get a functional flinter when there are easier ways to get one with a known rep, and a warranty.

Lyman trade  .54 (432)
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_186_190&products_id=5889

Traditions Ky flinter ($399)
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_186_190&products_id=12450

If you really want to build one I would use either the L&R or a Chambers lock, not for looks, but with the flat springs they are easier for me to tune, flat springs are easier to replace than coil springs.  As for aligning the flash pan with the vent if it is slightly off you can usually "move" the groove in the pan to align it better, but only about an 1/8 of an inch (1/16th either way)

Either way have fun with it, and don't over look pawn shops for parts guns.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
I think my "bitsa build" would have better quality components.  ;)

PC

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
Try a WTB ad in the muzzleloader classified section of Graybeard. 

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
Try a WTB ad in the muzzleloader classified section of Graybeard.

Great suggestion!  Thanks!

PC

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »
I think my "bitsa build" would have better quality components.  ;)

PC

Without question, it certainly could.  Just thinking this was being done for reasons other than quality.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA