Author Topic: Hometown Cannons  (Read 1089 times)

Offline bluelake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
Hometown Cannons
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:20:45 PM »
I already introduced one of my hometown cannons on the Confederate Cannon thread.  There are a couple others there.  I thought it might be interesting to have a thread about cannons found in everyone's hometown, including pictures.  The most well-known cannon in my hometown of Petoskey, MI is a 9-in. Dahlgren off of the USS Hartford.  The city next to mine also has a 9-in. Dahlgren off of the USS Powhatan.  It's interesting to note that the Hartford served for a time as the flagship for the US Asiatic Squadron, while the Powhatan was Commodore Matthew Perry's flagship in 1854 when he visited Japan.  A couple other of the Hartford's Dahlgrens are in cities nearby my hometown:

Cheboygan, Michigan- Cyrus Alger & Co. #225
Petoskey, Michigan- Cyrus Alger & Co. #249
Gaylord, Michigan- Cyrus Alger & Co. #250

How about your hometown and nearby?

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
Re: Hometown Cannons
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »
Basin, Wyoming, a small community about 40 miles south of us has two of these sitting in front of their library.  1861 Ordnance Rifles complete with casons.  Apparently the army had them out west here after the CW war and donated them to the DAR early in the 20th century.  They're "maintained" by the local American Legion chapter.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:08:10 AM »
Fort Walton Beach, FL

18 pound Naval Carronade (There were actually 2 guns)

This was the principal armament for the Civil War fort from which this city derived its name. It was sent here from Fort Barrancas, Pensacola, Florida, by General Braxton Bragg, CSA, after a Confederate company, Walton Guards, 1st Florida Regiment CSA, was shelled here in 1861 by Union field artillery firing from Santa Rosa Island.

The Walton Guards converted an old Indian mound, located 200 yards southeast from here, into the earthwork of Fort Walton and mounted this cannon, a naval Carronade which fired 18 lb. shot.

The Fort was abandoned on August 26, 1861. This cannon was spiked and buried at the site of the fort.

"A button found  in 1966 was attributed to a soldier of the Fort Walton Guard, commanded by Confederate Captain William McPherson.  During the Civil War he used the cannon and this site to protect "The Narrows" of Santa Rosa Sound where it enters Choctawatchee Bay.  At that time, the land extended several hundred yards farther into the Sound.  Archeologists have suggested the height of the mound was raided by the Walton Guardsmen affording better cannon positioning.  A cannon, discovered in the 1930s, was displayed on the Sound side of the Indianola Inn until 1962.  the cannon was then moved to the Indian Temple Mound Museum, north of here.  Three cannon balls, discovered in 2005, were used during this period.  Based on their size, it is known that they were not shot from the cannon that was discovered in the 1930s.  It is believed there is another cannon in this area that has not been unearthed."
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »
The only one I know of in the area is this Spanish American War trophy cannon from the Castilla.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:51:00 AM »
Fort Walton Beach, FL

18 pound Naval Carronade (There were actually 2 guns)

This was the principal armament for the Civil War fort from which this city derived its name. It was sent here from Fort Barrancas, Pensacola, Florida, by General Braxton Bragg, CSA, after a Confederate company, Walton Guards, 1st Florida Regiment CSA, was shelled here in 1861 by Union field artillery firing from Santa Rosa Island.

The Walton Guards converted an old Indian mound, located 200 yards southeast from here, into the earthwork of Fort Walton and mounted this cannon, a naval Carronade which fired 18 lb. shot.

The Fort was abandoned on August 26, 1861. This cannon was spiked and buried at the site of the fort.

"A button found  in 1966 was attributed to a soldier of the Fort Walton Guard, commanded by Confederate Captain William McPherson.  During the Civil War he used the cannon and this site to protect "The Narrows" of Santa Rosa Sound where it enters Choctawatchee Bay.  At that time, the land extended several hundred yards farther into the Sound.  Archeologists have suggested the height of the mound was raided by the Walton Guardsmen affording better cannon positioning.  A cannon, discovered in the 1930s, was displayed on the Sound side of the Indianola Inn until 1962.  the cannon was then moved to the Indian Temple Mound Museum, north of here.  Three cannon balls, discovered in 2005, were used during this period.  Based on their size, it is known that they were not shot from the cannon that was discovered in the 1930s.  It is believed there is another cannon in this area that has not been unearthed."

Swampman,
I photographed the same gun a couple of years back.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:46:15 AM »
I live in Vicksburg, Mississippi.  I don't think there is enough room on this board or enough time for me to take pictures of all of them  ;D.  I have posted some pics of the cannons on the USS Cairo on another thread.

DD...how many pics should I post? 8)

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:01:48 AM »
I live in Vicksburg, Mississippi.  I don't think there is enough room on this board or enough time for me to take pictures of all of them  ;D.  I have posted some pics of the cannons on the USS Cairo on another thread.

How about posting one or two of your favorites?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:26:05 AM »

How about all of them...one picture per reply and run you post count up...might even catch up to me if you post them all. :)

I already posted quite a few Widow  Blakely and Cairo as did you...wait a minute....back off on that. Seem to remember your wife is the photo taker....let her decide how many she wants to take.... ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »

YUP.  All of 'em.
In ONE thread (one thread per geographical site as a fort or battle field).
It would make an interesting collection.
And, it could serve as a format for documenting other 'collections' of artillery pieces.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:29:52 AM »

Here's another Dahlgren 9-inch, which is in the city next to my hometown.  It is off of the USS Powhatan (Commodore Perry's opening of Japan in 1854).  The interesting thing about it is the shot or shell that was used to block up the bore; you can easily see it.