Author Topic: TV Hunting Shows  (Read 1852 times)

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
TV Hunting Shows
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
I like to watch some hunting programs on TV, although it seems that any goober with a video camera has a show now, with a cousin or brother in law they refer to as their "Pro Team."

Anyway, lately I have noticed a number of unsafe practices on these programs that make me wonder what the heck.  Maybe I am nit picking, but safety practices such as crossing fences carrying a loaded rifle, or riding 2 up on ATV's without a hemlet, and even pointing the muzzle of a firearm in the direction of other people are things that make me scratch my head.

Has anyone taken note of things like this?
markc

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: TV Hunting Shows
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:59:39 AM »
When you are busy posing for a camera you tend to forget safe practices providing you followed it in the first place.
I subscribe to Wild TV and watch it less and less. More then half of the shows are archery hunts which are of little interest to me. I tend to "root" for the game ;) and am amused when the nimrod whines because he can't get the critter within arrow range. My comment" Shoulda brought a rifle"  ;D ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline markc

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
Not to mention the really long risky 50  yds (to the game) shots some are taking with their bows.  BTW, I am scratching my head listening to some of these guys talk about recoil reduction for their bows.  Please. recoil?  Been shooting bows since high school. 
markc

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:46:51 AM »
Beyond 50 yards in some cases. :o

Offline wind drift

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
What about the guy that shoots a buck and then  says i dont even know how many points he has or how wide he was.Well i hunt in a county where the deer must have a inside spread of 13''.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
I think some of the shots are staged. I noticed one guy wasn't looking into his scope and the gun went bang. They probably didn't get him shooting the buck so they re-staged the shot. You'll notice some of the shots are in broad day light and they show them discovering the deer in pitch black. Probably the deer ran from a badly placed shot and they spent the whole day and night looking for it. But.........that's show biz.

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:47:24 AM »
95% phony crap.  95% of the stuff they want to sell you is crap.  you'd do better with your time reading good old books like  Jack O'conner.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:14:43 AM »
................... You'll notice some of the shots are in broad day light and they show them discovering the deer in pitch black. Probably the deer ran from a badly placed shot and they spent the whole day and night looking for it. But..........

I noticed that repeatedly as well. I'm waiting for the next trophy nimrod to have a tape measure in his hand when approaching the buck. :(

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
they  never emphasize the scouting

i am a poor  hunter....i watch to kearn

all  you see  is the guys simpering in the stand and the shot  and posing

no mention  of how they chose to be in that stand that day

no mention   of the chosen gun.....unless its an infomercial
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:42 AM »
To me the funniest part is when they are the "star" of the show. Anybody can hunt a well managed, very expensive, and very well guided ranch and come across these deer. But these are the Pro Staff!!!! Speaking of long bow shots. I was watching a caribou hunt last year and they were taking 70 + yd shots. You could literally see the arrow arch and just kinda glide into the caribou. Multiple hits were normally needed. Anyone else see this episode? I do like the shows that focus on charitable hunts for wounded vets and seriously ill kids. I think the sadest one was the 16 yr old that killed his first buck. He died of cancer before the show could aire. Most of the other shows are too "Hey, Look at Me!!" But the one's that really kill me are the shows that have "Professional Hunters" with their $3,000 custom firearms and shoot deer at very normal ranges. Yeah, it took a pro to shoot a deer at a 100yds with that custom rifle. I still love my Dad's take on fishing shows, it made me laugh for years everytime I have thought about it the last 25 years or so. I used to ask him how they caught so many fish so fast(I was about 10 yrs old) He said there was a diver under the boat putting the fish on the hook.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
I laugh every time I see a hunter sneak up on his kill with the rifle/bow held out in front to give the animal a poke. I'm thinking What do you think, it is faking it !   

It would be funny if the "kill" would get up and run though. ;D ;D

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
I laugh every time I see a hunter sneak up on his kill with the rifle/bow held out in front to give the animal a poke. I'm thinking What do you think, it is faking it !   

It would be funny if the "kill" would get up and run though. ;D ;D
I always just loooked at their eyes.... open=dead      closed=shoot him again.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline markc

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Years ago I came across a parody of these hunting programs called, "Outdoors with T.K. and Mike."  If you can find a copy, it is very funny, and they had several different episodes.   
markc

Offline hillbill

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »
one show i do like is "killin and grillin tv" they show the hunt but focus mostly on the prep and cooking of the game.now thats sumpin i can use!buttttt it seems about all they shoot is hogs and game farm animals.another show i like is "the wild within" this guy goes above and beyond to show real tuff hunts and he dont sugar coat it either.he says killin yur food is a ugly bizness and if yu dont like it just go to the supermarket like every one else.a lot of us know this but its the first time ive ever seen it mentioned on tv.i take them all with a grain of salt.

Offline markc

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 06:35:43 AM »
Anyone remember Noel Feather?  He had a hunting show years ago, back when there were few of them, and not everyone had a camera and a desire to be a famous TV personality.  His hunting videos were quite a spectacle.  Unfortunately for him, he was eventually investigated and found to be in violation of a number of game laws, arrowing a pen raised deer and transporting to another state where he attached that states tag. 
markc

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »
Not a hunting show but equally deceptive was the one with a guy named Perkins as the Mod for the Prudential Insurance Co. if I remember correctly. Wild Kingdom sort of rings a muted bell.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:02:59 AM »
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
Arrgh, at least I got some of it right. :-[