Author Topic: armi-sports sharps rifle  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Tommie D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: armi-sports sharps rifle
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 06:52:36 AM »
I wrote to Pedersoli about what their sharps rifles are proofed at and they told me that they are proofed by Italian Law at the CIP (Sammi) Standard pressure for the 45-70.  This pressure is 27,500 PSI and that is all they warrent their rifles for.  For cartridges that have no CIP (Sammi) Standards Like the 45-120 they warrent them for 25,000 psi and only recommend black powder or black powder substitutes.  As Armi Sport operates in Italy under the same laws as Pedersoli does I would anticipate that their rifles are proof tested at the same levels in the Italian Government run Proof house.  This pressure is the same maximum pressure to which Ammo is loaded by factories in the US and Europe.

This is what Armi Sport states in the owners manual.

"All our guns are tested in the Armi Sport facility. To guarantee the gun is safe, it is sent to the National
Proof House of Gardone Val Trompia – BRESCIA – ITALY - for proof testing.
The Proof House tests the firearm with heavy loads then checks the barrel, chamber and headspace to
make certain the firearm is safe for use with standard factory ammunition.
The National Proof House will put their markings on the gun, according to the Italian law, certifying the
gun is qualified and can be sold."

Offline Dusty Ed

• Mainville Sportsmans Club
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 01:53:14 AM »
Howdy Pards
Here is my experiance
The Armi Sport will stay together for years and don't shoot
loose but some of them just won't shoot accurately.
I run a Buffalo Rifle Shooting match at Mainville Sportsmans Club where we have 15 to 20 shooters a month.
We have 5 or 6 shooters using Armi Sport 1874 ,some do, while others don't.
If you can't afford a Shiloh, Pedersoli is the way to go.
AS far Cleanup after shooting Black powder is the easiast
3 or 4 Patchs with Windex  and WD40 and you are done
as for smokeless powder a whole bunch of patches and Hoppes #9
www.mscrange.org
Dusty Ed ;)
Edward A. Bergen

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
I have an Armi Sports Sharps Billy dixon model with heavy barrel. I find it to be extremely accurate and like pretty much any 45-70 blackpowder or substitute load I've put in it. It particularly likes the 535 grain cast bullet I make from free wheelweight lead. I do not shoot matches so I'm not putting as many rounds through mine as some, but I found it has held up well. The price was very good too when I bought it and then realised to really shoot it to potential I needed at least a medium range Tang sight wheich can costs anywhere from 150-300 dollars. So the saving I thought I was getting could have spent the same money total money on a Pedersoli..which have a better reputation. That all being said..it's a beautiful rifle and except for the finish on the stock not likeing the sweat off my face and neck..is very well made. Mine has set triggers fully adjustable.
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline diddlyv

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
Direct lift from the lyman manual quoted above

The Lyman Ideal Model is an adaptation of a rifle design that was designed for use with black powder.
Modern cartridges with smokeless powders may be employed only if they meet standard SAAMI

pressure limits.

From the Pedersoli letter that accompanies all their fire arms

The modern replica Sharps, Rolling Block and Trapdoor models we produce are stronger than their original versions due in part to improved steels as well as minor changes made to strengthen original design weakness and add some discrete safety features. Although it is unpleasant to shoot maximum pressure loadings, we do permit the use of ammunition which does not exceed 29007 psi or CUP in these BP Ctg Rifles, regardless of their caliber. This allowable maximum pressure may be obtained using either black powder or smokeless powder loadings.

Pretty much should close the discussion.