Author Topic: Accubond or Partition? 264 Win Mag  (Read 1370 times)

Offline jays375

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Accubond or Partition? 264 Win Mag
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
I need to work up some loads for my 264 Win Mag.What I can't decide on which bullet to buy,Nosler Accubond the Partition.This gun will be doing double whitetail deer and black bear.I have been leaning towards the Accubond in 130 grain.It won't be long distance shooting,maybe 100yds.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Accubond or Partition? 264 Win Mag
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:36:18 AM »
not much help to you but i shot two whitetail does yesterday with my 264 using nos 120 ballistic tips. One at 200 yards and one at 310. I was shocked to see that both bullets exited and they didnt seem to tear the deer up to bad. Both dropped on the spot. I would have liked to use something like the 125 partition but my gun so far has only liked 120 bts and 120 sierras
blue lives matter

Offline jays375

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:59:56 AM »
From the research I did is that the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tips don't work with the speed of a 264 Win Mag.Well I had already bought two boxes of those.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:27:19 AM »
When in doubt go.....................N o s l e r !!
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
Jay i said they didnt tear up meat and they didnt. but a shoulder shot no doubt would waste alot of meat. In the one at 200 yardsthe off side hide had a small nickle sized exit hole but the off side rib cage had a hole you could stick your fist through. Most of the bullet must have broke up there and the shank left the exit wound. the one at 300 had a fifty cent piece sized hole though the off side ribcage and an exit the same size. What better performace could you ask for.  But keep in mind both did leave an exit wound. to me if a bullet goes in does the job and exist its pretty tough to say it doesn work at those velocitys. I wouldnt hesitate for a second using it again and surely will this year.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »
by the way i havent shot any game animals with any of the bonded bullets. Ive bought hornadys and remingtons and noslers for a few differnt calibers and never have gotten one to give me moa performance. granted i didnt spend alot of time on any of them but did give them a fair attempt
blue lives matter

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »
I have loaded the 130 Accubond in a 6.5 Rem Mag. a 6.5 Swede and even a 6.5 TCU.  Might be the most accurate bullet I have ever loaded.  I have not taken any game with them.  I shot the 6.5 TCU into wet newspapers and magazines at about 75 yds and it mushroomed beautifully. The Partition is not known to be super accurate,very few animals walk away after being hit well with them..maybe you should try both and see which shoots the best in your rifle.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 12:41:16 PM »
I have already done your research for you on the 130 Accubond for deer. Get you some Hodgdon Retumbo powder. Hodgdon manual says with 129 gr Hornady start load is 63.5 grs and max is 67.5 grs. I found that 67 grs in my rifle which is a custom Rem 700 with a 27 3/4" Shilen #5 barrel and has a tight chamber was too hot. 66.5 grs is PERFECT. I get 1/2 MOA acuracy out of it and 3350 fps average velocity. I have shot 5 deer with it from 80 to 250 yards the past two seasons. 4 deer were shot broad side or almost so through the shoulder and all bullets exited with golf ball size exit holes and all deer dropped in their tracks. One big 184 lb buck was shot at 111 yards and was almost facing me with a slight left shoulder angel toward me. Bullet was placed on the edge of the left shoulder and the bullet smashed it and made soup out of the vitals and when cutting up the meat I found the bullet in the right ham. It was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. By the way the buck was knocked back on his butt and he fell over dead on the spot. That bullet still had to be doing at least 3150 fps on impact. That is what I call a great bullet. It flies like the ballistic tip, is as accurate as the ballistic tip but holds together like the Partition. At close range, under 150 yards I to am leery about using the 120 BT at 264 Win mag speeds. I was getting 3600 fps with it in my rifle with outstanding accuracy. It would be OK for long range on deer where it has slowed down but at under 150 yards it would be going over 3200 fps which is about MAX of what that bullet can really stand on impact. I use the 120 BT  in my 6.5X55 Swede at 3000 fps muzzle velocity and even on deer shot as close as 50 yards it works great. I would have no reservations on using my 264 Win mag and 130 Accubonds on elk if I ever get to hunt them.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
Maximum impact velocity for reliable expansion for the ballistic tip is 3000fps per Nosler, there's no maximum for the AB or PT.  ;)

Tim

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1347

Partition:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1800 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- N/A

Ballistic Tip:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1600 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 3000 fps

AccuBond:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1800 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- N/A
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »
I probably average 30 deer a year shot with rifles. ive probably killed upwards of a 100 deer with  ballistic tips in various calibers over the years and i just havent noticed that much differnce between them and any other bullet. Bottom line is if you do have to shoot a closer ranges you should sure be able to place the bullet where its going to do little damage. What ive found is when using a mag rifle whether it be a 257 wby a 7 or 300 mag or even my 8mag if a guy puts the bullet where it belongs theres little meat damage no matter what bullet your using. Place a mag rifle round in the shoulder of a deer even at 300 yards and your probably not going to eat those shoulders and again it doesnt matter much what bullet your using. Personaly i think way to much stock is put in premium bullets. There surely not needed on deer sized animals and if anything the extra penetration they give will do even more meat damage. Ive killed deer with a lot of differnt bullets and what i look for first is a quick kill. Bleading kills deer and if i didnt want a bit more bleading id be using a 3220. By the way in my years of shooting deer one of my favorite bullets and one that tends to destroy more meat then any of them with a poor shot is the nos partition. Pop a deer through both shoulders with a partition even out of a 308 and see what you have left. The two does i shot with the 120 bts the other day didnt waste one once of meat. I shot one last night with the 300 wby at 160 yards and again didnt loose one once of meat. Bullet was a 165 seirra, another supposidly fragile bullet.  Put the bullet where it belongs and thats what happens. Blast away or shoot pourly and any of them will make a mess. Ive shot enough deer to make this statement with no reserve. Anyone that tells you that you need premium bullets for deer hunting spends to much time getting advice from the computer and not near enough time killing deer.
blue lives matter

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
Fortunately, I haven't seen anyone on the medium bore forum where I spend a good deal of time say that a premium was "needed" for Deer, at least in Deer calibers in quite some time.

We did have a guy a couple of years ago claim that he could not kill a fawn Antelope with a 150 gr. BT from a 7mmRM @ about 125 yds. & had to finish it by shooting it in the head with a 45ACP, even though I saw no hole in the head from the 45. I called his hand on it & created quite a stink, but I haven't seen anything that outrageous since.

Besides, the hunting BT bullets are second generation, with the later having thicker jackets & the newest 180 30 cal. has a pretty thick jacket. I killed 25-30 Deer with my 30-06AI with the 1st. Gen. 180 BT (red box, said solid base Bal. tip) & they were violent, but always penetrated enough & killed fast. I shot 2 last winter with my 300WM with the newest 180 & damage was very minimal & did the job well. That 3000fps baseline was in place before some of these jackets were made thicker & for example in 30cal the jacket for the 168 is thicker than their 165, so why would the impact vel. max be the same? It's just a guideline, but also Nos. can advise their premium then. Keep in mind, we are talking about Deer here.

However, if a premium bullet, E Tip, Accubond, TTSX, etc. shoots better in your rifle than any cup & core (I have 1 that does that) or you want one load for bigger game as well as Deer &
you have a great allround load, then why not. 1shot's load is a very good example, he does not need anything different for Coyote to Moose.

Shot1, you may have a point concerning the 120BT at 3600 however, I don't know as I havn't taken anything with a 120BT at that speed, 600FPS over Nosler's baseline may get hairy, I know 3300 with a 115BT in 25cal. is a bad boy, but 3600 is up there, I understand your caution at least.

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.