Author Topic: Texas hunting opportunities  (Read 1932 times)

Offline KP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Texas hunting opportunities
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »
I just moved back to Texas from a 20 year absence. All I can say is, wow the hunting opportunities are much worse than I ever remembered! I should only be here for about 1 year. I really hope it's my last year in Texas.

I understand all the reasons how Texas ended up with very little public land. It doesn't change the fact that hunting areas here are super high or completely nonexistent.

Gotta get back to the west and maybe a little more north. Good luck to all with a place to hunt.

KP

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
Re: Texas hunting opportunities
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:52:47 AM »
 :)  Howdy! One of the problems this year is the drought. However, there is lots of public hunting opportunities with the annual public hunt permit from TPWD. East Texas has lots of archery deer and hog hunting available. Some of the national forests have hunting opportunities as well such as Sam Houston National Forest, etc. Leasing land for hunting costs lots of money these days. However, the annual public hunting opportunities are a low cost way to hunt these days. Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
Gene,

Yeah, I put in for a few youth draw hunts for my son. I will not be able to hunt any of the adult hunts even if I had been drawn, so I didn't bother. I was raised hunting in the National Forests of East Texas and some Corps of Engineer Land around several creeks and lakes.

I'm stuck in El Paso and I've found APH and LPH opportunities to be really scarce. When I looked into Javelina hunts on private ranches, the cheapest was around $200 a day with minimum of 2 days. Are you kidding me? Texas is just not what I remembered as a kid.

KP

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
 :)  Howdy! Being in El Paso, there is not much public land close by for hunting. However, dove, quail, and rabbit hunting is available at Black Gap WMA and Elephant Mountain WMA. Quail hunting available at Big Bend Ranch, dove and teal in Hudspeth County, teal, waterfowl, and Sandhill crane at Red Bluff Reservoir. Still, most of this is a far drive from El Paso. You might want to consider opportunities in New Mexico as well. Best of luck! Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline jrchurch254a

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
When I got to Texas in 2003 (thanks to the U.S Army) it was a culture shock of sorts as far as hunting was concerned.  I never realized how "industrialized" hunting was in the state. Back in my home state of Idaho the most pressing issue was where to go since there is so much federal and state land.  I had to do some investigating into the Texas state lands and the "draw" system they have.  Never have been able to draw a tag but we do have a friend who lets us cull does off his ranch.  At least we get some venison each year (the only reason I really hunt anyway) so we feel lucky.  I sure like Texas and the people but man hunting can be expensive unless you know someone or lucky enough to draw a tag. My next goal, when I get home, is to find some poor rancher or farmer who needs their wild hogs thinned out a might.

Chief
Chief

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »
I know what everyone means about people charging an arm and a leg. I gave up on finding a place for myself to hunt. I just want to find a place so my 13 year old Son can get his first Deer, I don't care if it is a Doe and neither does he. We both have put in for the draw hunt here in San Angelo but haven't gotten drawn for two years. We can't afford the $200.00 a day (most of them are 2 day minimum). I would love to get a hog but can't afford that either. That was the one thing that Kommiefornia was better about than Texas. Maybe when Air Force retirement comes around we can leave here to another State where there is more Public Hunting.

Steve E.........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
 :)  Howdy! The annual public hunting permit is $48.00. The draw is a separate program that uses some of the WMA that come with the permit. You get a booklet that describes the WMAs and the season and bag limits for each. There are many, many hog hunting opportunites available. The annual permit allows you to hunt all of the WMAs listed at no additional cost. I think some are getting this confused with the annual drawn hunts. Good hunting! Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »
As a nonresident you got to fork over 350 bucks for a license just to start. :o  Daily Tresspass fees about 6 years ago near Bastrop and  further east were 100 bucks a day even for hogs.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »
GeneRector,

I'm not confused about the draw system and the APH. I bought an APH permit and applied for the draw hunts for my son. The 3 closest WMAs to El Paso are Sierra Diablo, Elephant Mountain, and Dell City.

Dell City - What a joke!
Sierra Diablo - Closed at ALL times! (unless drawn to hunt)
Elephant Mountain - No deer, javelina, or sheep hunting without being drawn

So without public hunting opportunities the private leases have just gone thru the roof. I'm not paying that kind of money to hunt. I could afford a few of the 2 and 3 day hunts, but I believe this is the wrong thing to do. I love hunting, but the hunting "industry" has gone way off track and I will not support it.

It's great what Texas has done in several areas to help out hunters. The region around El Paso, not so much. I got it, it's a population demand issue, but again I will not support these outrageous private leases.

With all this ranting, I do have to admit that my son was drawn for a Mule Deer or Whitetail Deer (buck only) tag at Elephant Mountain. Only 5 out of 150 and he's one of the lucky ones. We scouted the area last weekend and it looks really good. This could be one of my last chances to hunt with him. He's 15 now and I'm not as "cool" to hang out with like a few years ago. He likes to hunt still, but you know how teenagers act. He'll be back to normal in a few years.

Keep luvin' the huntin'
KP