Author Topic: Noise level of .177 caliber mortar/cannons?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Brooklynite

• Trade Count: (0)
Noise level of .177 caliber mortar/cannons?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
Hey everybody, I've been reading these forums for the past few weeks and have finally decided to purchase my first BP mortar or cannon.
I'd like to buy a .50 or .75 caliber mortar for target practice at the shooting range, but I'd also like to buy a micro artillery piece to fire in the backyard.
So, how loud are the super-small-bore mortars and cannons? I don't want to disturb the neighbors too much. (cap gun? 22LR? firecracker?)

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
Re: Noise level of .177 caliber mortar/cannons?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
I have a .177 mini-cannon and to me it sounds about as loud as a firecracker. Maybe a little more.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
I haven't fired any miniature artillery that size, but I have a percussion pepperbox in .22 cal.  With 2 grains of FFFFg and a .22 Perfect Round, it was about as loud as a .22 CB cap. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
Brooklynite,

Welcome to the forum.... Do they let you have cannon's in brooklyn?
it will depend on the powder charge you use how loud the little ones are
but you can expect the 50 and 75 caliber to let you know you are shooting something....
check our list of sponsers they have some nice wares for sale.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Brooklynite

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
Thanks carmy and subdjoe.
Kabar, Thanks for the info. BP firearms are allowed in Brooklyn as long as you don't have powder or ammo in the house.
The backyard I'm planning on using is out in suffolk county long island. I'd never try setting one off within the 5 boroughs of NYC.
I've been checking out what the sponsers have to offer and really like the looks of some of the pieces.

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
I have a .177 sledge base cannon from Dom. C. This little guy with 4f surprises folks. 4f is louder than 3f it seems. As far as it relates to other items, I'd say at or somewhat louder than a 22lr.

I also have a .75 cal barrel from Dom and it will wake the next farm over for its size with a blank charge. A 1/2 load ball charge gives it a deeper more satisfying boom!

Tod

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »

I can clap my hands louder than this one reports....
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
Brooklynite,

I built a .177 naval cannon for my son. With about as much 4F in it as one can fit and still have room for some toilet paper wad it sounds like a common 1.5 inch firecracker.

As far as having a cannon in Brooklyn, look back at some of the older threads... looking for the guy who shoots his smaller cannons regularly in the sub-basement of his apartment building ;-)

Rick

Offline Microboomer

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:16:15 AM »
It all depends on barrel length.  My BB Coehorn has about a 7/8" bore length - like Ivar said, you can clap your hands louder than its report.  My BB handgonne has a 2.5" bore length and makes a very satisfying bang.  I'd say it's somewhat louder than a firecracker, but quieter than a .22LR, but I'm not sure.  Maybe I'll collect some sound level measurements sometime...
andy

Offline Brooklynite

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:20 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm thinking about getting one of the micro coehorns from Brooks-usa. I know it has a longer barrel than Ivar and Micro's mortars but hopefully it will be neighborhood friendly.

Rickk, I couldn't find the posts by the guy in brooklyn, I just assumed these cannons would follow the same laws as BP pistols/longarms since I can't find any mention of them specifically in the NYC laws.
If there is no regulation that would be very nice, but i wouldn't want to risk it with the way the city handles "illegal" firearms. To be safe it'll sit on a desk in the city and be fired outside it's borders.
By the way, can you actually follow a projectile from one of the mini's with your eyes, or tell where it's landing?

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
Mine sounds like a hand clap. If I use 4f powder.
Andy
Save Legionville

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline jamesbeat

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 05:23:52 AM »
Interesting about the Brooklyn thing.

I live on Long Island myself, and one of the things I have to consider is the 'constructive possession' problem.
I have a black powder revolver, but I have not got a pistol permit yet.
This is perfectly legal, because in NY (state, not city) you are allowed to own black powder handguns as long as you don't own the materials needed to fire them.
If you want to shoot your pistol, you have to get a pistol permit and add the black powder pistol onto it. Once you've done that, you're allowed to own the powder, caps, and ball.

Now, although I do intend to get a pistol permit, I am not doing so just yet.
I don't own any powder, ball, or caps at the moment, but when I buy supplies for my cannon, I'm going to have to be careful!
From what I gather, I'm safe as long as I don't own ALL THREE items needed to fire my cap & ball revolver.
I can own fuse, as revolvers don't use fuses, and I don't need caps to fire cannon.
If I own fuse and powder, but no .44 ball or caps, I'm ok.

For instance, if I bought a cannon that was lanyard fired (with a cap) and was .44 caliber, I would not be able to buy the supplies necessary to fire it, because doing so would also mean that I had the necessary materials to fire my revolver too!

He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 05:38:22 AM »
Interesting about the Brooklyn thing.

I live on Long Island myself, and one of the things I have to consider is the 'constructive possession' problem.
I have a black powder revolver, but I have not got a pistol permit yet.
This is perfectly legal, because in NY (state, not city) you are allowed to own black powder handguns as long as you don't own the materials needed to fire them.
If you want to shoot your pistol, you have to get a pistol permit and add the black powder pistol onto it. Once you've done that, you're allowed to own the powder, caps, and ball.

Now, although I do intend to get a pistol permit, I am not doing so just yet.
I don't own any powder, ball, or caps at the moment, but when I buy supplies for my cannon, I'm going to have to be careful!
From what I gather, I'm safe as long as I don't own ALL THREE items needed to fire my cap & ball revolver.
I can own fuse, as revolvers don't use fuses, and I don't need caps to fire cannon.
If I own fuse and powder, but no .44 ball or caps, I'm ok.

For instance, if I bought a cannon that was lanyard fired (with a cap) and was .44 caliber, I would not be able to buy the supplies necessary to fire it, because doing so would also mean that I had the necessary materials to fire my revolver too!

I'd have to move. :-\
Very well armed Zulu in Texas

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline jamesbeat

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »
I already did move- from England!

Compared with the UK, even NY is like a firearms paradise :D
I wouldn't even be allowed to own a bp revolver back home, unless I went through a lengthy and prohibitive licensing process.

There's some interesting things happening with the pistol permits here in NY right now (which is why I'm holding off getting one at the moment)
Seems the high fees, waiting times, reference requirements and the conditions they place on permits (ie no carry) are unconstitutional, and they are being sued for it.
Once the Westchester case is done, things might get a lot better around here.
He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »
Brooklynite,

I built a .177 naval cannon for my son. With about as much 4F in it as one can fit and still have room for some toilet paper wad it sounds like a common 1.5 inch firecracker.

As far as having a cannon in Brooklyn, look back at some of the older threads... looking for the guy who shoots his smaller cannons regularly in the sub-basement of his apartment building ;-)

Rick

Rick,
I must have missed your post the first time around. That was the late, and great "El Caz" who used to fire some of his cannon in the basement of the bldg. he managed in Manhattan.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.