Author Topic: Fort Benton , Montana  (Read 569 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Fort Benton , Montana
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »

Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Fort Benton , Montana
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
Good series of pictures, 1Southpaw! Thanks for posting them....BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »
I have more pictures of the guns in the fort . Upon close inspection they are replicas made by Hern .
Both are steel lined replicas , of which the originals are in Ft.McLeod , Alberta , Canada
We were by there in June But DD didn't have time for a look see as we were on our way to a British Mi-litaria  Shoot .  We had an Ice cream cone and passed on the picture  event .  :'(

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 03:25:44 AM »
I have more pictures of the guns in the fort . Upon close inspection they are replicas made by Hern .
Both are steel lined replicas , of which the originals are in Ft.McLeod , Alberta , Canada
We were by there in June But DD didn't have time for a look see as we were on our way to a British Mi-litaria  Shoot .  We had an Ice cream cone and passed on the picture  event .  :'(

Wasn't the fort closed when we went by?

I got a bunch of  pictures of the two real cannons at Fort Benton when Colin was here. ...you missed the  Mountain  Howitzer at the visitors center...you were starry eyed celebrating the 50th with your sweetie. 

Didn't know about the two Hern Guns.   Didn't they charge admission to get into the Fort?   

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:20:44 AM »

Ernie,
I'm missing something here; are you saying that the 3-inch ordnance rifle seen in the photos that you posted, is a reproduction?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
No the 3" is original . It sits out side under the eve of the Museum . The Fort is next door . The only original part left was the "Block House "  In the Block House is a Hearn repo and in the rebuilt trading post is another . The original Block house cannon is in Ft. whoop up , Lethbridge Alberta @ a Repo fort and the trading post one is @ Ft.Mc Leod  Alberta.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: Fort Benton ,Block House Cannon
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »

This also is a repo made by Hearn. The lable picture did not turn out well but here is what I have
Bore 3 1/4 " 
Original in Ft.Whoop up Lethbridge Alberta .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks, Ernie; I didn't think that it was a repro, because it would've taken a real artist to produce the markings on that gun, especially those seen on the muzzle face.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
If you look @ the first picture and Zoom page size you can read the info on the 3"