Author Topic: Loading for and Shoot the H&R 45/410  (Read 422 times)

Offline vacek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Philippians Chapter 2
Loading for and Shoot the H&R 45/410
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:13 AM »
I was at a gun show today and sold and old Makarov for $235 and picked up a new in the box H&R 45/410 Survival Model SB1 for a total cost with tax of $229.  This is easily the ugliest gun I have ever owned but should prove useful as a truck gun.  So I have a few questions.

1.  This has a screw out choke for firing 45 Colt.  With the choke out, can one still fire 410 with any decent <20 yard pattern?
2.  I am planning on using my own reloads and cast bullets anywhere from 220 - 320 grains.  Will that be a problem if my loads are within less than the max on Ruger Blackhawk 445 loads?
3.  Since we are talking about a longer barrel than my 45 BlackHawk, should I use a slower powder?  Right now my loads are W231 and Red Dot, but I have a lot of powders in my inventory.
4.  I have a spare 20 guage barrel that fits really nice.  Any problem using that with this system?
5.  The gun only comes with a front bead. Should one put a nice large aperature on the barrel?
6.  Anyone else own one of these and what is your experience?

Thank you ahead of time for any feedback.

Vacek

Offline cutshurt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • No matter where you go? There you are!
Re: Loading for and Shoot the H&R 45/410
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »
I am working on loads for mine also, so I wont be much help there .... but you will not have a problem with useing the 20 gage barrle on your frame. I have a 20 gage barrel also, as long as it fits and locks up.

Darrel

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Loading for and Shoot the H&R 45/410
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
Your 45 LC loads should work just fine.  You will probably get okay patterns..minute of snakes head at 10-15 yards...but I believe for any longer shots I would utilize the tube.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis