Author Topic: .454 Casull brass loadable to .45 Long Colt specs?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
.454 Casull brass loadable to .45 Long Colt specs?
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
Just ordered dies to handload .45 Long Colt, have loaded other cartridges in the past and have a question?  I have some spent .454 Casull brass and was thinking of loading it to .45 LC specs.  I also have .45 LC brass to use, but hate to let stuff go to waste.  The .454 case is longer and I would have a greater amount of air space in it, would that create a pressure problem for safety?

I had read that the problem with loading .454 Casull is that the bullets can move under recoil and they advise that factory fresh ammo be used for hunting to eliminate anything binding up the cylinder.  I rarely use .454 Casull anyways.

Any pet load that you folks have found to work well for you?   

Thanks.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: .454 Casull brass loadable to .45 Long Colt specs?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
there are probably loads out there for the .454 that are in the ball park of the .45 LC.  I am almost certain the one could use Trail Boss and have satifactory results.  Its bulky enough to fill the case.  Check out the Hodgdon website and see what data they have available..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:26:46 AM »
I have not had any problem using normal 45 colt powders in the 454C.  Stay away from using powders ie. H110.  I use unique, blue dot, red dot etc. for target loads using 454C brass and have found no problems.  When I want full powder loads I use the recommended book loads.  If you want to use hot 45 colt loads, use 45 colt brass just to be on the safe side.
BD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:45:10 AM »
With some loads ( higher bullet weight ) you will seat the bullet deeper in the case so the round will fit in the cyl. and still rotate. Also using 45 Clot brass alt can cause a ring to build up in the chamber(s) some feel this is more important than others. I have seen reloading books that say use 44spl. spec for lower vel. loads like wad cutters , can't remember if the 454/45 Colt is listed that way or not check Hornady reloading man.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »
If it's an FA83 with their super tight tolerances you might not want to use the shorter .45 Colt brass as they recommend against it. If it's a Ruger SRH, Taurus Raging Bull or a TC Encore I don't think it really matters or that any of them caution against using .45 Colt ammo.

If you load down in the .454 make darn sure you follow a book recipe don't cobble up something on your own. If you ignore that advice at least don't use ball powders. I've found that 2400 like Unique is very forgiving of reducing charges without strange things happening pressure wise. I'm not saying use it or anything you don't find in pressure tested book loads just saying I have done it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
Trim the 454s to 45LC length.  Or better yet trade them for 45 LC brass.  Either will work for you.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:34:08 AM »
the brass thickens as you get closer to the rim. In many cases it is to thick to trim to a shorter length. When you seat the bullet the extra thickness will cause the cart, dia to be to large .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !