Author Topic: Copper plating bullets  (Read 1039 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Copper plating bullets
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:25:06 AM »

I watched 3 videos on you tube on copper plating your cast bullets. The guy used an old electric drip coffee pot, some wire a low amp power supply and Zep root killer. It looked like a lot of work for a few bullets.
I shoot way too much lead for this to be an option for me, but being retired I may give this a try just to see how well it works, Anyone else ever tried this.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Copper plating bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:05:03 AM »
ive seen it done and it does work. Is it worth it? While i dont do it if thats any answer. I just dont see where it makes sense. Ive not had a bit of trouble with lubed lead bullets. Only use i could ever see for it is if a guy shoots at a range that doesnt allow cast bullets. Ive also shot tons of plated store bought bullets and never really got the results with them that i get with my own cast bullets. The designs out there just arent that great. Only exception that ive found is the renieers for the 50 beowulf. they shoot better then anything ive found to date and actually perform real well on game.
blue lives matter

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Copper plating bullets
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:49 AM »
 A plated bullet is cast in a mold that is made a few thousandths SMALLER than normal. The plating brings it back up to size. You need to heat the solution to about 110 to 120 degrees. The solution is VERY poisonus and proper disposal is required. It is more labor than I want to try again.Bullets should be washed with acid to remove ALL the surface oils and grease that may be on them before plating. The actual plating does not take very long. An old toy train transformer can be used for an electric source. A properly sized and gas checked cast bullet with a good lube is as accurate and can be shot at the same velocity as the plated ones though. For this reason alone I gave up on plating! Maybe it would be worth while IF I could NOT get WW or LYMAN #2  or Linotype alloys!