Author Topic: 10 gauge cannon? Can someone school me?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline DukeInMaine

• Salty Dog
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Salty Dog
10 gauge cannon? Can someone school me?
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »
Ok, I haven't seen this beast yet. But one of my neighbor, knowing that I do a LOT of reloading, asked me if I could make some 10 gauge "blanks" for a cannon that his cousin has.

I'm not familiar with such a thing, but bumping into this thread area has me interested in learning more.

What are these? How do they work? What's needed to load for them?

Offline Bob J

Re: 10 gauge cannon? Can someone school me?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
Hi Orville!
Funny running into you here.... ;)

It's probably a winchester signal cannon http://www.thecannonstore.com/products.asp?lineID=W98

If it is it uses a standard 10 gauge blank shell http://www.thecannonstore.com/details.asp?prodID=W10GB

Found this thread over on THR that might help with your load development  http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-495602.html

Good luck! 

Bob J

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »
Ok, I haven't seen this beast yet. But one of my neighbor, knowing that I do a LOT of reloading, asked me if I could make some 10 gauge "blanks" for a cannon that his cousin has.

I'm not familiar with such a thing, but bumping into this thread area has me interested in learning more.

Hello Duke,

Always, only use black powder, I use FFg. Primer shell, and then pour as much bp as you want, but leave enough wall space to accomodate 1 thin card and your sealer. I make my own cards with a hole punch, and I use Duco cement to form a bead around the top of the card ( but you can use anything that makes sense). I also don't do any tamping on the powder, to get it to settle, I just tap the bottom of the case on the table. That's it, that's all I can think of.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
DukeInMaine,
Good to see someone else from Maine here. 

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »

Hello Duke,

Always, only use black powder, I use FFg. Primer shell, and then pour as much bp as you want, but leave enough wall space to accomodate 1 thin card and your sealer. I make my own cards with a hole punch, and I use Duco cement to form a bead around the top of the card ( but you can use anything that makes sense). I also don't do any tamping on the powder, to get it to settle, I just tap the bottom of the case on the table. That's it, that's all I can think of.

Cannoneer,
Do you use brass shell casings? 
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
Something to keep in mind is how far that  wad will fly.  My 12 gauge cannon will shoot a plastic wad 25-30 feet on just a primer. Great for indoor target practice occasionally. I've never tried paper so maybe it's different, but still something to think about.
Bob

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
Zulu,

Yeah, I got them from Rocky Mountain Cartridge, LLC. Very well made, if they're taken care of, they should last a lifetime. I got the 10 Gauge 3˝" shells.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »
Zulu,

Yeah, I got them from Rocky Mountain Cartridge, LLC. Very well made, if they're taken care of, they should last a lifetime. I got the 10 Gauge 3˝" shells.
If it is a Winchester signal cannon I think it will only accept 2 7/8" blanks.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »
Ahhhh.  2-7/8 STANDARD blank.   That gives me something for which to use my worn out (at the mouth) 3-1/2" 10 ga shells.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »

Why?

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »

Why?

I think this is so you cant chamber a field load.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »

Why?

I think this is so you cant chamber a field load.

Soot,
Cannoneer has already said he uses a 3 1/2" casing in his so it must be able to chamber it.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:24:12 PM »
Cannoneer has already said he uses a 3 1/2" casing in his so it must be able to chamber it.

But has he actually chambered any of them yet?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
I've never tried to chamber a shotgun shell that was longer than the chamber, so I don't know how easily it can be done. What i do know is that a shotgun head spaces on the rim of the shell. Head space being the point in the chamber that stops the foreward movement of the shell. After the chamber there is a forcing cone, and using too long a shell pushes it into the forcing cone and doesn't allow the shell to open fully. This would create a higher than normal pressure situation. I cant see why a blank shooting cannon would even have a forcing cone, so it probably doesn't matter.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
I cant see why a blank shooting cannon would even have a forcing cone, so it probably doesn't matter.

That is the meaning of my question why to "carmy53." My 10 Ga. is a machinist made signal gun, and it has a stainless steel barrel with a straight bore. I don't own a Winchester/Bellmore Johnson, and it's possible that it is chambered for the 2.75" shell; so I just went looking and found this from one of the stores licenced to sell them: "All models are chambered for a Winchester 10 gauge blank cartridge and are fired by pulling a lanyard." I don't know if that description means all that much though; there must be a member here who owns, or has experience with one of them.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
From the Bellmore Johnson website - don't know if this means you can't use something else
This cannon has been designed, manufactured and tested for factory loaded Winchester brand 10 gauge, 2 7/8 inch BLANK CARTRIDGES ONLY.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »
Probably means you aren't supposed to fire shells loaded with shot; maybe also shells loaded with smokeless powder.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
carmy53,

I saw that statement when I searched yesterday, and I'm sure George is right about two thirds of the reasoning behind it; the last third being that they're Winchester shells, and pull in more profit. You were right though, the Winchester Model 98 signal gun won't chamber the 3˝ shells, but that doesn't mean you can't load your own. The outfit I mentioned earlier (Rocky mountain Cartridge) also makes brass 10 Gauge 2 7/8 inch shells.

Offline jamesbeat

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 06:48:32 AM »
Last time I bought some 10ga blanks (which was many years ago) they came with wads made from thin particle board.
I thought this was an excellent idea, as the particle board would turn to sawdust upon firing, making for a safer design than a traditional wad.
I don't know how easy it would be to make wads out of particle board, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.
He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Offline DukeInMaine

• Salty Dog
  • GBO Supporter
  • Salty Dog
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »
Thanks for the follow ups and info!

Bob, I'm like you..............  EVERYWHERE!!!

Will see what I can do to help my neighbor with his cannon.

Here's me, with my son in law, with a couple of home made cannons:

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
delete

Offline jamesbeat

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
Or maybe even a short barreled shotgun...
He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
Gentlemen,  some where buried on our board is letter from ATF describing these guns as signalling devices.   

Lets leave that discussion about these guns at that.  Lets not speculate about their status from  misuse and give some rookie ATF agent food for thought.  That is not what this board is about.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
delete

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
I ran into an entire ammo can of 223 Blanks so I made an adapter to fire 223 blanks in the Winchester Signal Cannon. 

The next project is to make a 28 ga adapter.  (Ran into a bunch of paper hulls cheap)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
I ran into an entire ammo can of 223 Blanks so I made an adapter to fire 223 blanks in the Winchester Signal Cannon. 

The next project is to make a 28 ga adapter.  (Ran into a bunch of paper hulls cheap)

COOL idea!

Now I need to build a signal cannon - to shoot up MY 50cal ammo box of 223 blanks.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)