Author Topic: reducing pressure.  (Read 361 times)

Offline jumpsteady

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
reducing pressure.
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but the 3 ways to reduce pressure are
1) Less Powder
2) Less crimp, and
3) Seat bullet out further

Now if I use less crimp and push the bullet out further over the same powder charge, I should get about the same velocity, right? I have a .357 Max Contender with 180 grain XTP's over 18 grain of H110 that I was having problems breaking the gun open with. Like an excessive pressure problem. Just wanted to make sure that I was going about this the right way to reduce the internal pressures. Thanks
Charter Member, Sons of the American Legion, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Charter Member, American Legion Riders, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: reducing pressure.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
All are partially correct but all can be very wrong as well.

Less powder works IF it's a powder that takes to lighter charges. Some powders if you reduce below listed loads actually increases pressure. Ball powders as an example.

Crimp isn't a real factor in pressure normally. Case tension should be adequate and is far more important to give proper burn.

Depending on how far out you seat the bullet you can in fact raise pressure not lower it. For instance if you seat into the rifling pressure will be higher than a normally seated bullet. Same if you seat too deeply pressure goes up.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »
 You may look at another powder. In rifle powders, some create a lot of pressure while others don't, but they maintain the same velocites.
I don't/won't mess with lower charges of H110/296. This powder DOES NOT like to  be reduced.

HWD

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »
the hornady handbook 4th edition only list W296 not H110. for their 180 gr bullet. Their 160 gr bullet list both. Both have very close charge weights. Why not try W296 ?It may be a reason they did not use it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:07:17 AM »
the hornady handbook 4th edition only list W296 not H110. for their 180 gr bullet. Their 160 gr bullet list both. Both have very close charge weights. Why not try W296 ?It may be a reason they did not use it .
W296 and H110 are the exact same powder.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:24:06 AM »
now they are but back when the 4th ed was written 1991 not sure , charge weights were a few 1/10's different .
 He may have issues with the locking system . I had about 7 Contenders over the years and most would be hard to open from time to time . Sometimes even with out fireing a shot . The lock up can be troublesome from time to time .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »
You can back off on the load a little, the Hornady 8th lists a start load of 17.3gr H110 at a COL of 1.890" with the 180gr XTP in their Contender pistol data.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain