Author Topic: Go bad from sitting?  (Read 886 times)

Offline oneshot2

• Trade Count: (0)
Go bad from sitting?
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:02:34 AM »
My NEF Pardner 20 gauge (purchased in 1992) has always been reliable until the last time I went to shoot it, click!  I opened the chamber and there was just a dimple of a mark on the primer.  It use to punch a nice deep stamp into the primer. 

Could it be my Pardner has gone bad from lack of use? 

It sits around 99.999% of the time and I'm wondering if flushing it out with Kroil will get rid of any lacquer build up left over from previous lubricants.  This is my guess, that it went bad from sitting the same as most any machine will do from lack of use.

Any suggestions?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Go bad from sitting?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 05:57:41 AM »
Could be the firing pin is gummed up, but it could also be a weak hammer spring or a combination of both, or it could be a bad transfer bar, or you're not pulling the trigger all the way back each trigger pull which will cause light strikes. See the FAQs trigger hone info to see how to R&R it yourself, buy a Wolff extra power spring, also found in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:04:49 AM »
If I sit too long I kinda 'seize up'......
FWIW, try dripping some good solvent, maybe even 'brake clean' into the f-pin hole (but watch out for your stocks!) and let it soak some, then drain/spray out and use it. It just might come around.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline oneshot2

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »
I went to Wolff Gun Springs website and ordered a 30331 single coil hammer spring. 

Is this the correct spring?  How many years do the Wolff springs last? 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Yes, the double coil are for old(pre 1987) H&R Arms firearms. Dunno, have yet to wear one out.  ;D

Tim

Offline oneshot2

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »
If I sit too long I kinda 'seize up'......
FWIW, try dripping some good solvent, maybe even 'brake clean' into the f-pin hole (but watch out for your stocks!) and let it soak some, then drain/spray out and use it. It just might come around.

Is there any plastic inside the receiver or the ejector assy. that's chemical sensitive to solvents?

If not I'll take the stock and the forearm off and give the receiver and the ejector assy. a good soaking in Kroil.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
The trigger guard is plastic which also houses the entire trigger group and supports the latch spring,  make sure you dry the latch off real good, if it's wet you may get pop opens, it and the latch shelf on the underlug need to be clean and dry.

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
I agree with the guys posting above. Something else along the same lines.  Oils "drain" from the barrel and chamber into the action where they reduse to something akin to shelack. Something I have done for years and I also know Tim does is to store them muzzle down. Looks kinda funny but is a much better option esp for those with long term storage.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
You dont usually need much, and I think a couple of applications and soak is better than just hosing it all down with stuff dripping out everywhere. My old twoleg spring 12ga. has come around now. Remember KISS.........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline oneshot2

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 03:59:53 AM »
OK, thanks for all the tips.  I'm going to wait for the new Wolff hammer spring to arrive.  Then I'm going to carefully get that installed and clean each piece in the trigger group individually, then re-assemble. 

It should be good for another 20+ years of standing in the bedroom corner only this time muzzle down.

Offline oneshot2

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 04:35:08 AM »
Another question, how far should the firing pin protrude when holding the trigger back and pushing the hammer forward with your thumb with the breech open?  It doesn't look like it sticks out very far, .025 to .030 maybe? 

If I cock the hammer and reach in there with my finger I can make the firing pin stick out quite a bit further.  Is this of any concern? 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:49 AM »
See the FTF and misfire info in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline oneshot2

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »
Excellent read!!!

Thank you folks for explaining in minutes, something that would have taken me hours to figure out on my own. 

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,227831.msg1099262522.html#msg1099262522

Offline oneshot2

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »
My Wolff extra power hammer spring came today.  It took me about 20 minutes to get it installed.  I stepped out on my deck and fired 10 rounds in a row and they all fired.  Before the new spring at least three rounds would have been FTF. 

My gun hasn't worked this good since it was new.  I know for certain now that my gun will fire each and every time. 

Thanks again folks for your help.