Author Topic: Reloading Stand Question,  (Read 980 times)

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Reloading Stand Question,
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-grinder-stand-42986.html

I am thinking of buying this to put my Rockchucker on. I need something that I can move around. My simple minded way of thinking is this,

Put casters on the legs, and mount the press where I will be pulling into the single leg.

Anybody use anything like it?

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Reloading Stand Question,
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Such a stand is meant to be anchored to the floor for stability.  Instead you want to put wheels on it?  With a 17 1/2" base and a press that mounts off to the side it won't even stand up on it's own much less be functional as a loading bench.  Shoot, those things won't even work with a small grinder unless they are anchored.  You may want to rethink this one a bit.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:37:31 PM »
Here's one specifically made for it.  Has a block hanger in the center to drop the center of mass.  ;)

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/Lee-Reloading-Stand.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
If your handy you can make one similar to the lee load bench shown above for a lot less money. Years ago I didn't have enough room to have a press mounted all the time--so I mounted my press on a 2 x 8 and used big C-clamps to hold it down to a work bench when I wanted to use it--then just put it on a shelf when not in use. I seldom reload for shotguns any more--and my 2 pressed are mounted that way now.

cybin

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
Thank guys. Im learning. This forum helps keep it from being very exp sometime.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »
I've never used a stand for reloading only benches and I build them heavy. One person isn't gonna do much moving of the benches I've built. I agree tho a grinder stand ain't gonna cut it. There are a few stands made specifically for use in reloading. I'd sure use one of those if I were going that route.

I'm not sure any of them will be stable enough for what a Rockchucker can do. If you are doing any case forming operations a lot of force is used. For normal reloading chores tho less stress is transferred to the stand/bench.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
I really don't know how much pressure the reloader puts on the bench----I built a tank anchored to a battleship.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »
The Universal grinder stand shown in the same Harbor Freight ad would come closer to doing the job, it has four legs that spraddle out to make a larger base and a low shelf that you could put a couple three bags of shot on. That would probably work maginally if you aren't doing real heavy stuff. I would look at it in person though, not mail order or buy it in a box, some Harbor Freight stuff is pretty el chiepo.

Offline Rodland

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
 This might work better than a grinder stand. You would still want some weight on the back leg. I used one of these to make a portable shooting table.http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=planishing
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
It could work fine with inexpensive minor modification. 1st, go to your local tire store where you should be able to talk them into giving you a damaged wheel/ rim. 15/ 16 inch preferably. Now go to your local Lowe/ Home depot store and purchase 2 sacks of qwikcrete, pre-mixed concrete. Now. on a piece of plywood, sheetrock or heavy cardboard, take your bench stand, remove the top , set the wheel over the stand pipe with the deep dish side up, mix the concrete according to directions, and fill the wheel level with the mixture.

I am typing this on my coffee table that is made from a manhole cover bolted to a 4" steel pipe that has a flange on one end and the other is fastened to a 4X4 X frame mounted on casters and tastefully painted to match my decor. It weighs 216 pounds. I use it for reloading my handgun and small rifle ammo also. 8)
remember the starfish

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
i made a stand about 25 years ago sum what resembles the lee three leged stand made now easy to make with 1'' angel or tubing with a 3/8'' or1/4'' thick top 12'' square. legs cut to how high you want  legs to  be on slight angle makes more stable with brace in between legs 4'' up from bottom of leg. takes about 20 minutes to weld up. cut slot in top and drill mounting  holes.i made this because i can take it in the house and reload in the winter. when its warm it is in the garage very stable stand also weld flat washers to bottom of legs. very cheap easy build.