Author Topic: refinish stock  (Read 470 times)

Offline woodsrunner

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
refinish stock
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »
Hello to all- just picked up a set of palletwood stocks from the classifieds. My plan is  to rework them by cutting off the pistol grip to make an  English style stock and work the forearm down to a slimmer splinter style.

Couple of questions, first, I have some woodworking experience  but, is there any thing I should watch out for in paticular?

Second is there a reason the wood fits proud of the metal?  Is this just  to make manufacturing cheaper or won't the PW stand up to the recoil without the shoulder or maybe some other reason? Can this be slimmed down?

I know several members here have reworked stocks, so any input will be appreciated. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

TIA--woodsrunner
Good Hunting--Woodsrunner

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: refinish stock
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:44:22 PM »
Just keep track of the hole in the stock for the bolt and make the wood fit only a little bit proud of the metal like the old time stockers rather than absolutely flush.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: refinish stock
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »
As suggested, just whatch the wood removed thru the stock in the wrist..

You are correct, a number of members have refinished and reshaped the stocks. Some are tru works of art!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.