Author Topic: "Opening" up Hollow Points on Match Bullets for Varmint Hunting  (Read 461 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
"Opening" up Hollow Points on Match Bullets for Varmint Hunting
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:43 AM »
Hypothetical question:

If a guy had a boat load of match hollow point bullets in .22 & .243, would they be able to drill out or open up the hollow point to allow for faster expansion?  I'm just curious because from time to time, I am able to get my hands on match bullets for dirt cheap.  They murder the paper and steel I shoot, but I'd like to be able to use them for varmints and not have to worry about the bullet not expanding.  I've seen where people have opened them up and inserted polymer tips (Berger bullets) and they claim they work well.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: "Opening" up Hollow Points on Match Bullets for Varmint Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »
I would not do this... This is a dangerous proposition... you could damage the integrity of the bullet so it sheds its core and leaves the jacket in your barrel...
Besides, may people prefer FMJs for pelt hunting...

Midway and many others offer cheap varmint bullets, try them first...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
 I HAVE used those "match" hollow points for varmints on occassion! IF they are placed in the critter correctly , they seem to work fine. Most of the makers state that match bullets are NOT varmint grade for a reason. The jackets are usually thicker than true varmint bullets. I would NOT chance an accident caused by changing the bullets profile . I would however try them as is to verify if they work or don't.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
The match bullet will be fine for varmints but the hollow point on a match bullet is for weight distribution rather then as a hollow cavity to fill with tissue and expand the round.  Most target/ match ammo has a thick jacket as opposed to a hunting round that the jacket is made to peal and expand or fragment.
Hitting a small varmint with either a 22 or 243 bullet will make a mess out of the critter.  More to do with speed and hydrolic displacement than expansion of a bullet.  After all with a ground squirrel that is 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter even a hollow point is not going to have a lot of time to expand before it exits the critter.  The amount of fluid the bullet dislpaces is what gives you the explosive like hits.   

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
Just use those match bullets as they are. They will open up like a varmint bullet. I have used match bullets on varmints for years and they make a mess of them. Currently I use 69 gr Sierra Match Kings in my AR 223 on ground hogs and it kills them dead with exits like a golf ball or more. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
 I'd be a little concerned with ricochets from a non-expanding bullet. Bulk varmint bullets are cheap.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »
You could buy a Forster case trimmer and get the hollowpoint attachment, and have at 'er. I really feel it's totally unnecessary, but if it's what you want, who am I to deprive you of the opportunity? There are potential pitfalls, but it's a learning experience anyway.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
the boys are right, match bullets are different.
 Some(most) use a harder alloy for the copper, so if their not thicker their harder and modification doesn't really improve the expansion.
They'll do the job, just not a dramatic explosive finish. I'd opt for accuracy before trying to make the "hollow point" bigger,,
found elsewhere