Author Topic: below min charge weights for the 35 whelen  (Read 232 times)

Offline pjeffreys

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
below min charge weights for the 35 whelen
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
ok i took the advice of someone in the other forum and bought some of those grand slams from midway for my 35 whelen. well i didn't have a speer manual so i used my hornady manual cause the last bullet i loaded for my remington actioned custom gun was a hornady 250 grain RN. i started with the recommended reloader 15 min load of 51.3 grains and after playing with seating depth the group was one ragged hole at 100 yards. i was pumped! then i emailed speer and they sent me their data for the bullet. well come to find out their min load is 55.0 grains which is hornady's max load. anyway should i worry about shooting such a weak load or just be glad that i'm getting such good groups without burning so much powder? i mean; after all these alabama whitetails are pretty thin skinned.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: below min charge weights for the 35 whelen
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
It's not that light a load and while 250 grain bullets seem kinda much for our Bama deer it will do fine. Speer manuals have pretty much always showed higher charges for a given bullet weight than other manuals do. I'm not convinced they've reshot all the data using pressure measuring equipment.

If the load is accurate that means a whole lot more than another hundred fps or so.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!