Author Topic: Elite 209 nconversion lehigh  (Read 1620 times)

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Elite 209 nconversion lehigh
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
Well, guess I waited too long, looks like lehigh is not making the conv with changeable vent liners anymore. So my question is , is the one knight is offering good with BH209, & whats the point at $42 if you cant change the liner?  Thanks,  Mike

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Elite 209 nconversion lehigh
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
Well, guess I waited too long, looks like lehigh is not making the conv with changeable vent liners anymore. So my question is , is the one knight is offering good with BH209, & whats the point at $42 if you cant change the liner?  Thanks,  Mike

Mike,

Lehigh is under contract witn Knight, and they make the conversion for them. The vent liner is vacuum braized in place. It is BH209 friendly. I think you would be hard pressed to wear out the vent liner with normal use. The vent liner is much harder than any Stainless Steel breech plugs flash hole. You might place a WTB in the classifieds, I know some people like me ordered a few of the Lehighs when he was making his last run. Sorry, but mine are staying with my rifles. Somebody must have one they would let go.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
ok thanks, so I would be ok with the factory on right, I will order one.  Mike

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »
 I agree & would just order from Knight. I have a few of the Lehigh plugs but don't see the need for new liners. I just take mine out to clean at times.
NRA, Veteran

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
ok so I got the plug & conversion but it looks like the primers dont go into the channel very far, is this normal? Mike

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
ok so I got the plug & conversion but it looks like the primers dont go into the channel very far, is this normal? Mike

Mike,

What primer are you using? Do you mean you can't close the bolt?

About 2/3 (~.200") of the primer will be in the primer pocket, and 1/3 (~.100") obviously showing.

Not all of these rifles are a perfect fit for the conversion. Knight had some very liberal tolerances over the years.

If you take your longest primer (Win W209), measure and record, then drop it in the bolt adapter and close the bolt. Then remove your primer and remeasure it. If it is now shorter, record that number as your primer headspace. Primers vary in length, depending on the brand, from around .290" (European) all the way up to .305" (U.S.). Most primers from the same box/lot can vary as much as .005".
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
ok, am using the winchester M primer, must be the wrong one? Just reading that my no excuses bullets might not work either as BH like a tighter fitting bullet. Still learning on this but will get it in the end.  Thanks for helping all.  Mike

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
ok, am using the winchester M primer, must be the wrong one? Just reading that my no excuses bullets might not work either as BH like a tighter fitting bullet. Still learning on this but will get it in the end.  Thanks for helping all.  Mike

Mike,

Is this the primer you are using? WML209?

Don't give up on those No Excuses before you give them an honest effort. I have shot the full bore conicals with BH209, and have had pretty good success. A good fiber gasket wad or two makes it much easier though IMO. I do think the 440 gr bullets are about perfect for the 1:28 twist rifles.

Here are some of the conicals I shoot out of my .502" bores. The second from the right is a 460 No Excuses, the one on the left is a 350 gr Hornady FPB, and the rest are various White Rifles Bullets.

Here is the wads I use.

Here is some pics of typical groups, and a couple where all the stars were all lined up.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
so ya, I am hoping to use the 460 grain No excuses, hope they work. No those are not the primers I have, & have the ones for Trip 7 powder, will have to get regular 209 primers. Now where do those fiber wads come from, I do use a wad but its the white cloth kind. Very impressive groups by the way. Thanks,  Mike

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 08:18:48 AM »
also , as a side note, I was getting great accuracy with this set up using the FPJ & the no  excuses 460 with 90 grains of T7, T7 primers & 1 white fiber wad. Just have the FPJ & swabbing between shots. I noticed you stayed under 80 grains on all of you groups?  Mike

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 02:17:14 AM »
 Mike, yes you need some strong primers. I use CCI Mag primers, though others will work. Those primers you mentioned are 'reduced flash' & made for the other propellants, like 777 & Pyrodex. Listed as unreliable with B209.

How far do you plan to shoot? I just think you'll have a lot flatter trajectory with a <300 grain bullet & a higher B209 charge. My load is a 120 grn charge of B209 & a 250 grn SST, Knight Elite & Extreme.

Yes, I have used conicals before & they work. Also pay attention to having a fit that will keep them tight on the powder charge. A somewhat loose conical can drift off & above the charge & could cause problems upon firing.
NRA, Veteran

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 04:52:56 AM »
ok, got 209a primers, & picked up some knight pbt 290 grain bullets with blue sabots. Thats all the guy had so will try it all out next few days along with the no excuses bullets.  Mike

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »
ok, got 209a primers, & picked up some knight pbt 290 grain bullets with blue sabots. Thats all the guy had so will try it all out next few days along with the no excuses bullets.  Mike

Mike,

I don't think you will like the results with the blue sabots in a Knight, they only measure .501" before loading in a .502" bore. The older yellow sabots measure .506", and are much more accurate in the Knights, IME. If you use the No Excuses, seat a wad very firm on the powder, then firmly seat the bullet. If you do this, you will like the results.

You want a snug fitting saboted bullet, or wad for the full bore bullets for best results with BH209. My .502" bores do not like the blue sabots with the Knight/Barnes Bullets, but they love the yellow sabots.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:15 AM »
ok thanks, will get some yellow sabots to try, & all I can get around here for the wad is bore buttons so hope they work, Mike

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
ok did some shooting today.  First off the conversion was great with virtually no blow back. Shot the pt Gold 300 grain in black sabots & got about  1 3/4 in groups with 80 grains, then the 290 barnes tez boat tails with 80 grains but in yellow sabots & got to right about an inch. Shot about 20 times & the yellow sabots are tighter but load easy enough. Will try the no excuses another time. I did try 90 grains with the pt golds but kicked real hard & grouips opened. Mike

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 01:55:08 PM »
Mike,

Sounds like you are getting it all figured out. That 290 gr Barnes on 80 gr BH209 will kill any whitetail that walks. I get the best accuracy with 110 gr shooting the 250 gr TMZ, but 80 gr will work just fine with that 290. Good luck with your conicals. Here is who makes the wads I use. Cabelas also uses these wads with their name on them. They are both from Sidney, NE.

I use the .518" x .060" in my 50 cals, they also offer them in .030", and for other calibers as well.

http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/item/7209324/7463753.htm
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:54 PM »
Ended up shooting 4 deer with the 290 grain Barnes boat tail & 80 grain BH powder load, got pass thru on all. The combo does a great job none went far & blood trail were excellent. Will try some others but really dont think I could improve much.  Thanks to all for the help with this.  Mike