Author Topic: reloading .270 handi  (Read 456 times)

Offline leprecon21

• Trade Count: (0)
reloading .270 handi
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »
I'm just starting reloading. I was given an old "C" press and a Ohaus scale. I'm buying lee dies (probably), but do i want a neck sizer or a full length die. and what about a crimp die. also any other tools you would recommend.

Plus a good start here load would be appreciated. i'm not looking for .5 groups at 100yds (consistent milk jug shots at 250 is my first goal)just a start in the right direction and lower cost than $15 a box
thanks 21
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Dorado

Re: reloading .270 handi
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
If you scroll down to the reloading forum, (its on the main page) they have a sticky @ the top for people new to reloading, lots of good info there, very informative.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »
Take a look at the Lee die set that has a full length resize die as well as their Collet Neck Sizer, then you are good to go. I use the CNS dies quite a bit until I really need to full length prep new or used cases, or if I have loaded hot enough, or enough times that I need to bring cases back down to eject/extract easily.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:12:41 AM »
I've been experimenting with the 270 using Nosler 130 SP bullet over H4350, not great yet but I am getting there.  Also tried my own cast boolit 130 gr over Unique and that seems very promising too.  This is just a plinking gun for now, but I wanted something for elk which is my dream trip in the future. ;D

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
.5" groups @ 100 yards from a Handi is a pretty tall order!!!...

I shoot groups near that with a Hornady 140 BT and H-4831...

But, they are from an older Model 70 Winchester...

You should be able to do milk jugs @ 250 yards if you can stay at or near 1.25" at 100 yards...

That should be able to be done with the Handi...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »
since you are not looking for .5 groups just about any load you choose will be good load for hunting i use 140 gr sst 42. grains of h 4895 wich is a mild load and get great results 45. grains is max as far as crimps its up to you your handi isnt necesary but i crimp and fullsize all of my loads because i have several guns in the same caliber but just neck sizeing will increase your case life

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
I load 130 grain bullets over H-4831..one grain under max..unbelieveably accurate...normal ole cup and core bullets..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »
You did't say if you have a manual. Lyman's 49th Edition Handbook and The ABCs of Reloading are good places to start. Info in these will give you an idea of what equipment will suit your reloading needs. The Lee Deluxe Die Rifle 3-Die Set contains both full length and collet neck sizing dies. BTW; you won't need to crimp the 270...

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
I load 130 grain bullets over H-4831..one grain under max..unbelievably accurate...normal ole cup and core bullets..

Yup, me also!  :)  I guess if it was good enough for Jack O'Connor it's good enough for us!  ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club