Author Topic: I'll skip the used guns for a bit  (Read 5924 times)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
I'll skip the used guns for a bit
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:38:04 AM »
 It's like a marriage squabble, her's take her side & his take his side.

NRA, Veteran

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
Re: Ideas Dealin With Deal Gone South?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 04:25:14 AM »
i don't have any real help for ya but doubt stressin' the guy's poor ol' wife out about is any way to get things done. she likely has known for some time what a horse's butt he is and has enough on her plate dealin' with him on a daily basis. my opinion and yer welcome to it, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:57:45 AM »
As Bubba says, I would spare the poor wife.  If you have a copy of the original For Sale Post I would copy it and the Browning Work Order and send them along with a letter stating your case to the Attorney General in Texas and ask how he recommends you proceed.  Ask if there are other instances like yours involving this dude.

A letter from the AG to this seller may enlighten him to your intent to get this resolved in an appropriate fashion without costing you a bundle.  In New York State we have a Small Claims Court where you can go for small amounts such as $1,000 without large filing fees, attorney and the complexities of a higher court.  Good Luck. 
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Offline 1sourdough

working it out
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:40:56 AM »
  Lets just forget it. 
NRA, Veteran

Offline Alaska Dave

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
On the site you bought the Browning i'd post the whole thing and ask the members there if they want to do business with the guy.
Do you speak German? Well I don't speak Spanish so maybe you'd better learn English.

Offline 1sourdough

O.K.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
  Shorter version.

NRA, Veteran

Offline Emptypockets

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
 1SD-- A friend of mine has a Browning lever in 358. His rifle was doing the same thing as yours. It turned out tto be an Idiocrasy with the firing pin. It free floated. He was told by a VERY good gunsmith that was what they did. He had to make sure the hammer made contact with the fireing pin.

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
I would take the gun to a good gunsmith you will likely save money and get your gun back faster.

Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room. Lifetime member of shootin stuff.

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 02:17:26 AM »
  Just more livin & learning.
NRA, Veteran

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »
Sourdough,  Go to www.Anywho.com and search for David Vandiver in San Antonio, Tx.  I'm pretty sure there is a listing with a phone number.  Might be handy.     ;)     Gerald in Tx.
Food is God's love made edible!

Offline 1sourdough

Done
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
 It shot great groups for him?

NRA, Veteran

Offline Savage .250

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:56:07 AM »
I know this is well after the fact but, that old saying still goes....Buyer, Beware! 

Not trying to be mean but this type of stuff happens more then you mught think.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Austin from NC

• Racjarrett88
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
  • Proudest Uncle Ever
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 06:55:35 AM »
sounds like browning is the one trying to cheat you the most. They must be smoking something.
(choot it, choot it Elizabeth, choot it) Troy Landry

Offline 1sourdough

O.K., The Deal is about Over With
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »

I'm pretty much done with this. I provide it as a leaning experience for me anyway.

Yes, I admit I did some things wrong along the way.
  Just a little frustrating when I can't even test the rifle, it won't fire reliably without special measures.. Then are we to assume the Browning factory gunsmiths don't know what their doing? During this the seller just says, 'not his problem'. Not even willing to talk about it.

I wasn't dreaming when I saw the receiver screws were buggered up. I didn't do it.

NRA, Veteran

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 01:22:45 PM »
I just have a few questions (1) why did you waite so long to get back to him about the problems 2 -3 months is in my book way to long to get back with someone about a problem (2) what kind of ammo were you using factory? or reloads ? (3) why in the world would you contact his wife about a problem youu were haveing with her husband ? (4) when you first got the gun did you shoot it then or did you waite the 2 or 3 months to shoot it ? (5) did you receive any kind of info about the ammo that way shot in this gun by seller ? (6) was the gun a used gun when the seller bought it ? ----- these are just a few questions I have about this deal I would like answered so I can make up my mind as to who is the dead beat D Crockett

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
It looks like you have been screwed over twice!  Once by the seller who was getting rid of a problem gun, and once by Browning who should have told you that the gun was toast and suggested that you buy a new one.  What did you pay for it and how much is a new one?

Offline 1sourdough

Done
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 01:14:54 AM »
  I'll work it out.
NRA, Veteran

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 03:35:38 AM »
this is what I think if you had got back with the seller with in a week I think this deal would of turned out different. I also think you closed the door even more when you got in touch with his wife if that were me I think you and I would have a serious discussion about ethics. you say that the gun has been gone into by seller the head of a screw was messed up. well I can tell you for a fact that David Vandiver takes all his gun work to a gun smith to have done. he does not go inside of guns. and yes I know David and have known him for about 10 years now and I have had many deals with him and have never had a problem with any of our deals. and one last thing if I buy a used gun I buy the gun as is I sure as heck do not go crying over the internet on 2 different fourms and slander a man the way you have done. D Crockett