Author Topic: Some hunting with a spotlight Down Under  (Read 574 times)

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Some hunting with a spotlight Down Under
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »
As there's no Australian Hunting forum on GBO and I hunt a few varieties of game I thought I'd post this report here.
Last Saturday night I headed to a large property belonging a friend.
It's about 1000 acres and mostly has rabbits, hares and roos.
A mate was supposed to come with me but he's a volunteer bush fire fighter and was called out to a fire.
Fortunately Alex, a good friend's son, had also been invited to spot for us so Alex and I headed out there.
Here are some pics:

Here I am with a little rabbit taken with my Anschutz .22lr.

One of the 2 young foxes taken using a Sportco Martini Hornet with a Tasco MagIV 3-12x40AO.
The 40gr Nosler BTs expand from .224 cal on entry to about .45 cal on exit! :eek:

Alex with one of the rabbits we took.
This one was a little like that scuzzlebutt episode of South Park - it ran straight at us!

A hare that I missed the last time we hunted there and found in the same place this time!
I'm ashamed to admit I missed him about 3 times before nailing him with the Hornet.
Once again the 40gr BTs were serious damage.

A large male roo I took with my Tikka T3 9.3x62.
Ok, so I was a little overgunned but hey, unless you're going to eat it it doesn't matter, right?
For the record this was shot using National Parks & Wildlife Service tags.

Alex with the last bunny of the night.
It was a good trip and Alex said he'd had a ball.
Next time we have to make sure he has his junior's permit so he can actually shoot, not just spot.
It isn't deer or bear hunting but the advantage is that I could do it most weekends if I had the time.
Additionally it was the first time we'd found foxes on that property, and shooting foxes is challenging and fun.
I even found their den so we can go back next time. :)
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Some hunting with a spotlight Down Under
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
For the record before someone starts in as they always seem to do hunting at night with lights is a normal, legal and accepted practice in Australia.

As there's no Australian Hunting forum on GBO and I hunt a few varieties of game I thought I'd post this report here.

That's really because no one has ever posted a poll asking for one on the Request a New Forum forum. I suspect there are enough of you blokes here that if all of you voted yes one could be started. It takes a dozen yes repsonses to such a poll and while I'm not sure how many of you there are I'm pretty sure there are more than a dozen Aussies here. Plus a few non Aussies who enjoy reading of your exploits there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
Sorry, Graybeard, should've mentioned it before.
It's entirely legal because the animals are usually feral and pests.
BTW, exactly where would one post such a poll?
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 08:50:09 AM »
Near the top of the Forums Index in the Admin and Help section is a forum titled Request a Forum. That's where you place such a poll. Be sure to read the post explaining how to properly set it up.

We had a new Aussie join yesterday.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »
I have been to Australia on four occasions; had to work really really hard to keep from falling into the brogue and accent of Australia while there; have professionally designed facilities in Australia; considered moving my immediate family to Australia to follow the construction of the work; have read and thoroughly enjoyed Australian Hunting posts; and am a Rebel (FL Native) - even though the Australians call ALL OF US in the Northern Hemisphere YANKS (that galls us in Dixie). 

"Down under" it was "Mate" for every male; "Shiela" for every female; "Gooday" for hello; Moomba Festival (in Melbourne); the Southern Cross overhead; fist fights between mates (for the sheer hell of it) when there was nothing else to do (and they were plenty liquored up); traveling in cars 120 kilometers per hour (75 mph) AND driving on the "wrong" side of the road (left side driving); to name a few.

IT WAS FUN!!!!  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  They speak ENGLISH (the Australian sort) and most said I had an accent (Southern) but I was the one that asked them if they could understand every word that I said ("yes") but that I was only getting every third word they said - so "SLOW DOWN" while I catch up. 

Hunting opportunities are as varied as the terrain and the "State" in which one finds themselves to hunt.  I would appreciate hearing and conversing much more to our Australian friends. 

I am particularly interested to hear first-hand how the "voluntary" turn-in of weapons in Australia has "helped" the taxpayer, "reduced" crime, and "increased" the security of the now unarmed General Public.

BTW kombi...nice hunt!

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
Thanks, Land_Owner.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your time here in Australia.
And excepting the deplorable state of our firearms laws I reckon it has gotta be one of the best place in the world to live, if not the best.
I'll try not to call you a Yank in future but old habits die hard.....  ;D
For the record the amnesty and buy-back of firearms in Australia has had no effect on the amount of firearm related crime.
The rate of murders has been decreasing each year and has not dropped any faster since the laws were introduced in 1996.
The billion dollars the federal govt spent buying back guns was mostly spent replacing or updating the guns the shooters handed in at the buyback and the figures show that there were less guns handed back during that period than all the SKSs ever sold so it was a complete waste.
They would've been better off investing the money in mental health and in giving police better resources to stop firearms related crimes.
But hey, our at the time prime minister was a moron and an avowed gun hater so knee jerk reactions are best, right?
Anyhow, enough about that.
Might be time for me to post a poll about an Australian hunting section.
8)

Cheers & God Bless