Author Topic: Lead Maxi ball in Optima  (Read 441 times)

Offline tsigmon

• Trade Count: (0)
Lead Maxi ball in Optima
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
 I have  an early 2000+ optima and am having accuracy problems. I have tried  Hornaday  sabots , Powerbelts and a few T/C sabots that came with the gun and nothing groups .  Hornadays  produced a pattern, not a group covering a 7+" circle. High, low, wide left and right  in no particular order. Pretty much the same with all of the bullets really. Some of the powerbelts may put 3 fairly close together, 3+", but additional shots  had  extreme fliers. Some time the fliers would be first then settle down for 2-3 shots then go wild again. Has anybody tried a maxi ball in a Optima? I have a few hundred left from shooting a old T/C Hawkin and have thought about trying them. Any advive on how to get this thing to shoot before I throw it in the river?

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
Re: Lead Maxi ball in Optima
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »
What loads have you tried?  100grs 777 and 240gr. PR Deadcenters worked good in the one I had. Also same bullet sabot combo and 90 grs BH209.  Powerbelts tried them one season long ago and pitched what i had left over.
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows