Author Topic: TIGHTGROUP POWDER  (Read 378 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
TIGHTGROUP POWDER
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
I wonder what guys think about tightgroup for pistol reloading?
I use clays in my 45 acp and 38 Sp. but for the 41 mag: ruger blackhawk it is not the best powder choice;I was thinking in trying tightgroup for the 41 Mag: and from what I read it also not a bad powder for the 38 @ 45 acp

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: TIGHTGROUP POWDER
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
I think Tightgroup is a fine powder and I use it in a 5 Colt.  The upside is you can get MANY reloads out of a pound of powder.  The only downside I see is that it would be possible to double charge a case with disastrous results so pay STRICT attention to your reloading technique.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »
 Count me in as a Titegroup fan, for certain applications. It's in the 'Bullseye' ballpark. I use it for the 9mm, 45acp, some 38 spcl & 45 Schofield. None of these loads are over the 'mid' level. For your 41 I'd probably use H Universal for starters. Of course there's always H-110(&win-296) but who wants full power loads for everything?  Just measure your loads carefully &  use safety procedures and Titegroup can be a great choice.
NRA, Veteran

Offline KAYR1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »
Titegroup excellent powder. The precautions mentioned above is sound advice. What I like it for in .45 LC is that it is not sensitive to it's position in the case. Better ignition, accuracy in large cases. Works great in .45 ACP in my guns too.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »
I must be the only one who doesn't like it. I feel the nitroglycerin content is higher than it needs to be, and that the powder burns too hot. It may not be a big deal with a Blackhawk, but Titegroup leaves my 686 hot enough to brand cattle after the second cylinder when shooting fast in the local gun games. The guns so hot that it feels like I've been shooting full power 296/H110 loads. Plus it's smokey, unless you're using top end loads, and leaves my guns dirtier than old Unique used to. I bought 4 lbs when it first came out, and I still have about 3 lbs left. I am glad however, that everybodys not having the same negative experiences with it.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:19:01 AM »
I use it in 38 special loads, for both my handgun and my Rossi trapper carbine.  It makes for some pretty accurate plinker loads in the latter.  It doesn't take much, so you need to be careful to avoid double-charging a case.  Unless you do a huge amount of shooting, a pound of it will last a long, long time.