Author Topic: Range time with the .44  (Read 326 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Range time with the .44
« on: October 02, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »
I've been working to much and had too little time off but I forced myself to take a couple days off to go shooting.  Thursday I was shooting my .44 and was having trouble getting it sighted it.  So I sighted in my other rifles and figured I'd get back to the .44 later.  I ran out of light so it had to wait...

Friday I went back and this time I brought a shooting rest so I could remove my wiggling from the equation.  Again I was having strange results.  First it would shoot low and left then I manged to get it shooting high and center.  I let the cool and shot some other guns and came back to it and it was now shooting high and right.  It seemed to be grouping well with rounds touching at 70 yards but I couldn't keep it from shifting around.  I didn't keep the targets but if all I cared about was group size, it was shooting OK but POA wouldn't stay in the same place.

In all honesty it shot better before I put the scope on it.  Right now I'm suspecting the scope or mount is wonky.  I put a new Redfield 2-7 on with a DNZ mount. 

Deer season is upon us here in Oregon so I don't know when I'll get a chance to try it again.  I'm planning to remove the scope and try it again with iron sights when I can and put the scope on a know good shooting rifle to see if it's the problem.  Anyway no Handi for deer this year.  :(

Tony

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Range time with the .44
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
I'm thinking that your suspicion about the scope might be right on. I had one go bad and it acted like what you're describing.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:53:21 AM »
What really sucks is this is a new scope.  I have a good shooting bolt gun that isn't sighted in right now so I'm going to put the new Redfield on it to see how well it works.  The Redfield/Leupold headquarters is only about 5 miles from me so if it needs work, hopefully turnaround will be quick...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »
Sorry to hear that Tony, hopefully you'll get it figured out soon.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain