Author Topic: Pattern Tests (If you have any please post with the info suggested below)  (Read 25627 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
We need to get a pattern tests thread going here and mark it as a sticky.

If you do pattern test/slug accuracy test, list it here and include:

* Date
* Shotgun & Choke
* Weather Conditions
* Rest,bags,etc. used.
* Yardage to target
* Ammo / Load / Tested
* Results
* Photo of target if results are favorable.

To much costly in both coin & time data coming and going.  Lets take a minute and document results for the better to all.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Re: Pattern Tests
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:56:05 AM »
Bill,

I have done some patterning with the 20 ga., for turkey hunting and have posted some threads. I will go back and add the links. Very Good idea with this post/sticky!

V/r

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »
I'd have no problem making a sticky but the only way to really know how your gun is going to pattern is to test it. I thought about doing it with slugs but the results are such a mixed bag that I don't think it would be helpful.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »
Well.......

Actually we want the bad stuff to Markus................maybe more than the good  ;)

Thats what helps the next guy attempt to pick a road to follow..........or not.

Every gun is different but for example a 12 ga fixed full .695 Parder Turkey gun is still just that.......

Un-favorable loads help the next guy with starting points as much as favorable...........maybe more.

I will be digging up some past, not so great buck shot range reports and posting soon myself.

Regards,
Bill

Offline fernie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 05:01:13 AM »
Hey, this thread's a great idea! 

Here's a comparison I was able to do last summer on buckshot.

Date: 2007 Sept. 08
Shotgun & Choke: NEF 12 ga., Open Bore (modified barrel to 20 in.)
Weather & Conditions: Clear, 75 degrees
Rest: Hand-held
Target: Planed 2 x 12 lumber, 3 layers
Yardage to Target: 10 yards
Ammo: Handload (self) - 3 in. Federal FB Hull; Fed. 209A Primer; Herco 30 gr.; STS Wad;
                                   OS12 Overshot Card, 1 1/4 oz. - 18 count. #2 Buckshot (Premium Super Buck),
                                   28 count #4 Buckshot (Standard Winchester Chilled); PSI 11,400; 1,400 FPS
Results:  The purpose of this test was to compare a premium buckshot (#2 Super Buck) with a
             standard buckshot (#4 Winchester Chilled).  All components were the same with the
             exception of the shot.  After firing 3 shots of each load the #2 Super Buck
             consistently produced 10 in. patterns that were fairly uniform in spread, while the #4
             chilled buckshot consistently produced 16 in. patterns that were much less consistent
             in uniformity.
             Two variables in the shot itself could be responsible for this inconsistency.  The first could be the
             deformity of the softer, #4 non-premium buckshot.  The second could be the stacking
             pattern in the wad which varied between the two sizes of buckshot.
             Some of the #2 premium shot was able to penetrate all three layers of lumber.  Some
             of the #4 chilled shot did not penetrate even the second layer.

[These same loads were then tested in a Winchester 12 ga. fitted with a modified
             choke tube, with consistent results, although tighter patterns (8 in. for #2 and 12 in. for #4).
             I also substituted buckshot in my normal AA target loads, with consistent results, which could 
             hold only approx. 10 #2 and 17 #4 pellets.  Penetration was only through the first layer of
             lumber.]

These premium loads were built on information and components offered by Ballistic Products, Inc.

doc

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
Re: Pattern Tests (If you have any please post with the info suggested below)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »
i patterned a couple loads of buckshot out of my fixed full choke turkey gun. i only tested federal #4 buckshot caused that was all anybody had. I used paper plates with a 5" circle drawn on and a 1" orange sticker (i was testing loads for coyotes thats the reason for the 5" circle)

Federal 3" #4 buckshot with 41 pellets
@ 20 yards i got 6 pellets in the 5" circle 13 pellets hit the plate
@ 30 yards i got 3 pellets  at the very edge of the 5" circle and 10 total

Federal 2.75" #4 buckshot with 34 pellets
@ 20 yards i got 6 pellets in a 5" circle and 10 total
@ 30 yards i got 1 pellet in a 5" circle and 4 total (tryed a few more and got preety much the same result?)

Federal 2.75" #4 buckshot with 27 pellets
@ 20 yards i got 5 pellets in a 5" circle and 13 total
@ 30 yards i got 6 pellets in a circle and 10 total (this is the load i use)

might try some of the premium buckshot loads but was shooting some .410 slugs out of my mossberg 500 and was getting 3" groups @ 30 yards (ran out of ammo so couldn't try any farther) so might use that for coyotes. i have pictures but haven't figured out how to post them

common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »
Nice report sachel.

If I may........

Of the two 2.75" loads.  Per your pellet count spec.  27 & 34.  The un-plated Federal Power-Shok 27 pellet number 4 buck patterned better through that choke than the Premium copper plated 34 pellet Federal Premium number 4 buck.

Interesting.......

Many consider the paper plate (8"-9") itself rather than the 5" circle you made on it to be the ideal size for patterning a shotgun for pellet count on coyotes.  Many also consider 5 number 4 buck to be the minimum number of that buck needed on the plate to insure quick kills.  Your gun maybe a 35-40 yard shooter for coyotes with that buck,  which I think is fine......plenty for shotgun type cover,sets, beyond that bring a rifle imo.  Some imo, attempting through extra full chokes to pattern predator shot tight to 50+ yards and further are losing what a shotgun does best at close range,  and virtually turning there shotguns into rifles at 25 yards with to tight a patterns for likely moving,trotting predators.

Personally I would choose that over the .410 & slugs. 

Was the 3" load you tested the Federal Premium Copper plated?

BTW-  In my exact same 12 gauge.  Of the other two popular un-plated number 4 buck choices Remington Express & Winchester Super X.  The Remington Express patterned better, repeatably.

Thanks for the report.

Bill

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 12:38:05 AM »
thanks. all of the loads i shot were unplated federal power shok i haven't tryed any of the premium stuff since i'd have to order it and its more expensive i may actualy have the forceing cone lengthed which i've heard could tighten the pattern. i'd like to do some penetration tests between the #4 buckshot and the .410 slugs just for kicks. anyways i plan to do more patterning once it starts to warm up and try some turkey loads i did get very good patterns with some #4 and #6 birdshot using just some cheapy shells but after running about 50 rounds through it my shoulder just couldn't take it anymore will post again once i have more data. edit just reread your post all of the buckshot used was federal power shok shoulda been more specific
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »
12-30-07
33 degrees / 8 mph 45 degree angle wind
12 ga. Partner Turkey Gun 3.5" chamber / fixed full .695"
Standing Off Hand / No Support
40 yards

1)  Federal Power Shok un-plated no 4 Buck / 2.75"
Results- 4 inside 8" square

2) Remington Nitro Turkey Hardened un-plated no.4 shot / 3.5"
Results- 33 inside 8" square

Notes-  The 3.5" shells re-coil really is not bad at all   from standing position, shooting now and then.  Its from a bench or shooting often it gets ya.  The re-coil pad on the Pardner is not bad either. 
Soon,  I will be testing some of the 3.5" hevi shot (yes, you can shoot steel,hevi,etc. from a non-choke tube modern Pardner.......I called) in Bs or Ts and will post.  Its expensive,  I vowed not to because of this but, shooting / testing is fun and here in the Northeast I just dont shoot at called in Predators enough to worry about it.
One more note-  My tests will be from standing off hand.  With ear plugs its almost fun..........cant say the same with a shotgun from bags.  Last........in the field I shoot standing off hand to boot.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
Update

For the fixed full .695" / 12 ga / Turkey gun used for Predators (tiz the season).

I have shot & patterned more than I vowed to. 

Long story short - The Federal Premium 3" No 4 Buck was a flop and patterned no better than Rem. Express & Fed. Powershok.  Some even more pricey Fed. Prem. Hevi Shot BB's were also a flop (considering price!)

I am convinced from testing about two things at least for this gun.
1) Remington makes some pretty darn good value shot shells in the larger pellet sizes at least.  Their "Nitro" line of hard lead shot (rather than plated premium) buffered loads shoot/pattern really well through this gun.
2) The smaller predator shot sizes of BB,2's & 4's are much less fickle than the larger 4Bs etc. in this gun and pattern MUCH better.

Remington has Nitro Mag lead shot in size 2 from 2 3/4" - 3.5" for 12 gauge.  Its about $22 bucks for a REAL size box of shells rather than near $30 for a dwarf box of hevi type shot or $9 Bucks for 5 Premium plated Buck load.  The Nitro Mag appears to be the same to me as the Nitro Turkey.  Both buffered, truely hard lead,same wads,etc. designed to throw tight patterns at long distance for a value price.  What I really like about the Nitro Mag is the 1260 fps which saves on felt recoil as compared to some 1450 fps loads I recently tested.

I can tell you this.  The Nitro Turkey number 4 patterns really,really well every time in this gun and always has.  If you want something a little heavier for predators from this gun or any full choke Pardner 24" barrel (likely longer barrels to) I recommend you try the Rem. Nitro Mag which comes in # 2s.  Thats what I am going with next and likely last,final as I have little doubt it like its brother the Nitro Turkey load will be the ticket. 
To many holes in all the #4 Buck loads for me.  High end stuff did not have improved patterns for me as compared to choice value stuff be it Buck or BB,etc. 
Try some Rem. Nitro in 2's or 4's and save yourself allot of time. 

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
* Date 1/12/08
* Shotgun & Choke Pardner 12 gauge Turkey
* Weather Conditions Upper 30's low wind
* Rest,bags,etc. used. NONE - STANDING OFF HAND
* Yardage to target 40 yards
* Ammo / Load / Tested  Remington Nitro Mag 2.75"  # 2 Shot
* Results Favorable
* Photo of target if results are favorable

Just spoke of these and found them at the local gun shop in 2.75" # 2s.  So I patterned them.  $20 bucks for 25.  Thats a heck of a lot better price than some stuff I have been testing. 

From standing off hand I fired just one shot at 40 yards

Results were favorable as noted. 37 hits on 14" x 14" / 14 hits in 8" x 8".  Not bad for off hand. I hit where I aimed to slightly high which I prefer.  I am becoming a big believer in the Remington Nitro line of truley hardened lead shot and buffered loads at a honest price.  As with my Nitro Turkey 3.5" these patterned well.  I have patterned allot for predators since this fall.  Lots of number 4 buck, along with 000 buck, hevi BB shot, # 4 Turkey and now # 2 shot.  From premium to value from 2.75" to 3.5".  I was probably the most disappointed in some of the Premium loads.  I never did get real good patterns from # 4 buck.  Of that the Remington Express was likely the best.  Some stuff also shot low.  The Hevi BB and Fed. Prem #4 Buck come to mind.

My gun patterns Remington Nitro 2s & 4s well (on to slightly high) and more important it hits where its pointed from standing off hand.  I call in mostly Fox (just called in two last time out).  For myself I will stick with the old school of #4 for Fox and #2 for Coyote and forget about the 4 buck and hevi shots.

I like this # 2 Remington Nitro even in 2.75" and will use it calling, may even use it for Turkey.

Here is my Decelerator slip on recoil pad on my Turkey Pardner

I went slip on because of the shell holder.
I had posted negative feedback on it below and still would not recommend one over the standard as there is not much differance.  However I was wrong in regards to the recoil as compared to my Winchester Model 12.  I shot them both today with the same load and the Winchester and its butt plate kicked like a mule compared with the same #2 load.

Here is the pattern with my Winchester Model 12 / Modified choke / same Remington Nitro # 2 load / same 40 yards / same standing off hand, for comparison.  Results were not as good as from the Parder full choke

Last,  with a Pardner I may not be able to get a double as with the two Fox I called in the other day.  But,  I sure can load in another with plenty of time to put a good hit on a rolled one if needed  ;)

Well I got the photos messed up  :D  Here is the target from the Pardner 12 gauge Full choke  ;)  Note: as listed above the 3.5" #4 shot Nitro Turkey put "30 + hits in a 8" square"  But it kicked a heck of a lot more doing it also, along with the smaller shot (chuckle)

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
10 gauge target pics
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »
10 gauge pics. 10 gauge nef , kicks gt 680 tube, winchester supreme #6, 29 deg., very little cross wind, 20 and 40 measured yards, winchester supreme #6, 10 inch circles. Did not count the 20 yarder, but the 40 has 177 holes at 40 measured yards. Will they get better with warmer weather? Are the viods in the 40 yard target normal ? If not what can I do to make it more even? THANKS AND GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
I wish I could help buddy but I am not much of a turkey hunter, yet....several things to help with patterning is to try different shells or shot sizes, many times a standard load will pattern better than a magnum load. Also there is sometimes a problem with to tight of a choke opening up the pattern. All  I can suggest if you are not happy with those patterns, and they look as if any turkey that put his head and neck in those patterns would be dinner, try some other loads and choke tubes. There are other things that some have done, lengthening the forcing cone, polishing/burnishing the barrel, and back boring the choke are the most popular....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
try Nitro Rays shells & a jelley head choke & your 40 will look like your 20. Mike

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
I SHOT 2 GUNS THIS WEEKEND.

NEW ENGLAND FIREARM
SINGLE SHOT
12 Gauge
3" MODIFIED CHOKED FIXED BARREL
43"  OVER ALL LENGTH
14" PULL FROM TRIGGER TO TOP SIDE OF BUTT PLATE
27.5" BARREL LENGTH
PARDNER MODEL SB1

AND

WESTERN AUTO REVELATION

PUMP
12 Gauge
3" FULL CHOKED FIXED BARREL
49.5" OVER ALL LENGTH
14" PULL FROM TRIGGER TO BUTT
30" BARREL LENGTH
VENT RIBBED

THE AMMO WAS
WINCHESTER SUPER-X    2-3/4" SHELL  WITH    1-1/4ounce  OF   #4 LOAD

STANDING FREE STYLE SHOOTING
45 DEG. CLOUDY
CHILLY 5-7 MPH WIND FROM RIGHT TO LEFT

TOP PICS ARE SINGLE SHOT AT 25 AND 30 YARDS.. MODIFIED FIXED BARREL

BOTTOM PICS ARE THE PUMP AT 25 AND 30 YARDS FULL FIXED VENT RIBBED BARREL

SINGLE SHOT HOLDS ITS OWN AT 25 . STARTS TO LOOSE AT 30
PUMP HELD A TIGHTER PATTERN OVER ALL
BUT ITS SO MUCH EASIER TO CARRY THE SINGLE SHOT I'M USING IT FOR MAYS TURKEY SEASON
I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol

Offline Rayzor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
11/29/09
Pardner 410 22 inch barrel full choke.
around 60 degrees give or take, no wind.
shooting off hand at 25 yards.
Ammo is the Winchester 000 buckshot 2 1/2 with 3 unplated pellets. (xb41000)
cost $5.50 for five shot box.
Results:
On a large cardboard box I drew a 8 inch circle with a center dot. Test of 3 rounds. First shot put one pellet dead center and the next closest was 3 inch. The 3rd pellet was about 10 inches high and 6 to the left. The next shot put zero in the hole and all were 10 inches high and spread 1 1/2 ft. apart. The last shot, 2 pellets were 10 inches high and 4-6 inches left. The 3rd went elsewere. The intended use for these shells were to be a backup during close predator hunting. Given the results, calling them a random shot would be a complement. I will not use them for fear of just causing an injury and suffering to a animal. I let my kid burn up the rest of the box as the recoil is minimal. A thumbs down for me. 

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »
    Ray

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
Tested the new Federal #7 - 1½oz Flitecontrol ammo in my 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic, Federal recommends a full choke, so I ordered a Trulock Precision Hunter full choke, patterns at 40yds were excellent.

Tim

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=298
Currently I am testing the #7 shot Heavyweight shot loads. These shells contain approximately 337 pellets in the 1.50 oz. payload. Before you dismiss the #7 shot size, you need to remember that the #7 Heavyweight shot is equal in retained energy to a #5 lead shot. A swarm of these #7 Heavyweight shot will certainly do the job on any turkey at 40+ yards.

5/14/2009
20ga Topper Deluxe Classic/Trulock Precision Hunter full choke
65º Sunny
Sitting Bipod/ Tru-Glo Tru•Point XTreme Turkey/Deer Universal sight
40yds
Federal Flite Control Heavyweight 1½oz 3" #7

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mecmcb

• Trade Count: (1)
Ok, here's my pattern test.  Hope it helps you guys!

* Date:  Last March, cant remember the exact day
* Shotgun & Choke:NEF 12ga, 3.5" with variety of screw-in chokes
* Weather Conditions:  Sunny, ~50F
* Rest,bags,etc. used:  Caldwell Lead Sled DFT
* Yardage to target: 40 Yards
* Results: Shown Below.  The best pattern was with Hevi 13 #6 and a Remington Factory X-Full Choke.

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
here is my 10 ga 23" barrel briley Light Modified @ 41 yards off hand weather was cool about 77 degrees no wind . Load is Winchester XSC102

id say this is 97% in a 23" circle didnt have no stray pellets .

In theory its sound ",but in practice its flawed

Offline gtv

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
Pardner Pump Pattern Test #1 -- February 4, 2011

I did my first pattern test today with my new Pardner Pump.  It is a 12 gauge, 28" barrel, and I installed an H. S. Strut Undertaker Super-Full ported choke tube for these patterns.  Light drizzle, wind gusty blowing across my point of aim from right to left (this will be evident in one of the photos), temperature around 38 degrees F.  All shots were off-hand, kneeling.  The first ammo I tested was from a box of Remington Game Loads, 2.75" 1 oz. #6 shot, taken at 25 yards.  As I fired, the wind gusted and blew the target stand over, so my point of impact was centered more around the right-hand "8" on the target.  I did not retry this load, as I do not anticipate using it for turkey, but I included a photo of the target anyway, so you see the pattern:

Next shot was using Winchester Supreme Turkey Load, 3" 1.75 oz. #5 shot, again at 25 yards:

Last shot, again the Winchester Supreme, at 40 yards:

After these shots, the rain started getting heavy, so I called it a day.  Will try some other loads and chokes next time.

Edit:  forgot to add shooting stance.

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
patterning buckshot:
Saturday, February 18 2012, sunny 30 degrees, gusty cross wind
Marlin model 200 .410 shotgun, 22" cylinder bore with 1x20 scope
Standing, one round at ten yards, one round at fifteen yards
Federal 2 1/2" personal defense 000Buck, 4 pellets
24"x24" cardboard with 3" orange dot for focus, wasn't expecting such good results... ;)
Determining where buckshot hit in relation to crosshairs, for close in woodchuck elimination
All eight pellets in a very tight pattern, very happy!

Tried a couple other 3" buckshot loads, wildly innaccurate even for buckshot.
This round has patterned very well in my Mossberg 500 and an old bolt action .410, I like it!

Scott B.

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:24 AM »
 :-*
Tested the new Federal #7 - 1½oz Flitecontrol ammo in my 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic, Federal recommends a full choke, so I ordered a Trulock Precision Hunter full choke, patterns at 40yds were excellent.

Tim

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=298
Currently I am testing the #7 shot Heavyweight shot loads. These shells contain approximately 337 pellets in the 1.50 oz. payload. Before you dismiss the #7 shot size, you need to remember that the #7 Heavyweight shot is equal in retained energy to a #5 lead shot. A swarm of these #7 Heavyweight shot will certainly do the job on any turkey at 40+ yards.

5/14/2009
20ga Topper Deluxe Classic/Trulock Precision Hunter full choke
65º Sunny
Sitting Bipod/ Tru-Glo Tru•Point XTreme Turkey/Deer Universal sight
40yds
Federal Flite Control Heavyweight 1½oz 3" #7

Just out of curiosity, Is the full tru-lock choke flush mount or extended, and did you ever shoot this out of a factory full choke? From what I have read this load likes smooth non-ported chokes with a long parallel section and less constriction than most turkey chokes. Thanks a lot! Great pattern!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
It's an extended choke, you can see it in the pic, never even shot the factory tube, I don't recollect what it was, we can't shoot lead shot on the local shotgun range, so I went with a Hevi-Shot approved tube.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
Nice bird! I have been trying for 3 years and have yet to kill a turkey. I got two opportunities last year, both birds at 30-35 yards. Sounds like a "chip shot" to most turkey veterans, but I did not get either bird. I have been using a Remington 1100 passed down to me from dad that is chambered for 2-3/4" I've tried every shell I can find and several different chokes, but none seem to pattern like they ought, and all of them hit low no matter how much you adjust the sights at 30 yards. Its time for something different. A good rabbit and squirrel gun it is, but not a turkey gun. I like the 20 ga. due to less recoil(I'm not a magnum fan in any gun) and this seems to be a good turkey killing combination for a 20 ga. I just don't want to spend $500 for a turkey rig that will knock my head off.

Thanks Tim!

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
After much reading about the Federal flight control wad and the 20 gage 3 inch #7's in the heavy weight shot, I decided to try'em out. ( Thanks to quickdtoo for posting his info and giving me a place to start  ;) ) I read that this load liked a full choke with a long parallel section(an extended full choke) so I researched different chokes, and found that Carlson had choke tubes specifically designed for the Federal flight control wad in waterfowl chokes for the Black Cloud ammunition, which uses the same wad as the Heavyweight turkey loads. I contacted them and they told me that their long rage model was a full choke, and should work very well with this load. I decided to try it and boy was I glad I did. I will get pictures later, but here is the results:

3-13-12

Federal Mag-Shok Heavyweight 3" #7's in 20 gage

H&R Topper Deluxe Classic single shot 20 gage with a red-dot scope. Bench rest.

Carlson "Black Cloud" long range choke tube(extended "full" choke .590 diameter)

Clear, sunny, slight wind.

38 measured yards( it so happens that the exact distance from my overhead garage door to a fence I hang my target on is exactly 38 yards measured with a 100 ft. tape measure ;) )

All but 16 pellets in a measured 20" circle

Every pellet in a 24" circle shooting at a 36" x 36" target

43 pellets inside a turkey head and neck target.

I will also add that the backstop I was using is a piece of old corrugated roofing "tin"(aluminum corrugated sheet about .015 or .020" or so thick) and every shot pellet went thru it. I will put pictures of the turkey target and the sheet of aluminum roofing on here.

I had a H&R factory extended extra full turkey choke that I tried a couple of shots thru just out of curiosity, and it also performed very well, but the full choke gave a better pattern.

This is one bad daddy of a turkey load in 20 gage, and I can't wait to try it on the real thing! Federal has really done their homework on this load. It does kick pretty good, but not as hard as some 12 ga. loads I've used.

This is the piece of aluminum roofing tin (after several shots changing targets. all shots were the heavtweight 7's)