Author Topic: Barrel fitted to receiver?  (Read 378 times)

Offline coyotehunter223

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel fitted to receiver?
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
I read somewhere that NEF alwys etched or engraves the last 3 digits of the serial number on the barrel indicating it has been fitted to that receiver. I bought a used 12ga  Pardner serial number NH........ and it does not have that. It feels like a nice tight lock up though. Could I be in danger of someone having just swapped barrels?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Barrel fitted to receiver?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »
If it fits and locks up tight as you say, NO I would say your gonna be fine..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
quote author=coyotehunter223 link=topic=244770.msg1099410496#msg1099410496 date=1320972252]
 I read somewhere that NEF alwys etched or engraves the last 3 digits of the serial number on the barrel indicating it has been fitted to that receiver. I bought a used 12ga  Pardner serial number NH........ and it does not have that. It feels like a nice tight lock up though. Could I be in danger of someone having just swapped barrels?

The only time that possibly could be a problem is, if you had a high pressure rifle barrel (like a 308)  on a shotgun (SB1) receiver.  Since your talking about a 12Ga., the answer is absolutely no. 

If your still worried, make sure you take the barrel off the receiver, then look for the numbers, usually on the left side of the barrel lug.  But if there aren't any numbers there, like cwlongshot said, don't sweat it.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Sprint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:19:51 AM »
coyotehunter223,

NEF did not mark the partial serial number on the standard shotgun barrel. The numbers only appear on barrels that were part of a combination gun or had been returned to the factory for extra barrel installation.

Sprint

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »
coyotehunter223,

NEF did not mark the partial serial number on the standard shotgun barrel. The numbers only appear on barrels that were part of a combination gun or had been returned to the factory for extra barrel installation.

Sprint

I have a NEF Pardner in 410, that I purchased new, and the last 3 digits of the serial number was stamped on the lug.  I also have a NEF Versa-Pack 410/22LR combo pack that has the last 3 digits of the serial number engraved on the 410 barrel.  Neither gun was returned to the factory for an extra barrel installation.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.