Author Topic: forend spacer question  (Read 520 times)

Offline ssjohnnie

• Trade Count: (0)
forend spacer question
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
Has anyone kind of free flote the forend spacer you know not atach it to the forarm with the screws just put it there and put the forarm on would this aid anything or not :o :o :o

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: forend spacer question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »
Sooner or later it would aid the barrel falling off when you open the action.  ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ssjohnnie

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
hows it going to do that when its trap bettwen the fram and the foarm

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
 I tried something similar to what I think you have in mind. used heat shrink around the forearm, heated it just enough to keep the forearm in place.  Made no difference in group size with the .308 Ultra I used it on.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 04:31:28 AM »
SSJ, if there is no tension or screws to hold it in place it can slide side to side.
Keep in mind the screws for that spacer are pretty soft and the Phillips slots mess up easy.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline ssjohnnie

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »
Can't slide out from side to side barrel will keep it form doing that little ears on each side of spacer can't come out bottom curveiture of the front of reciver won't let it   try it take out the screws and put it on  and then the forarm with its screw it won't come out just floats there no pressure no binding lets foarm have no effect on the reciver...... Just my two cents :P :P

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
If it's not snug, your right, it'll free float, also known as rattle around.
 Stuff that rattles around, vibrates.
 More Vibration added to all the other stuff that's already happening to a barrel when a cartridge is fired and a bullet is launched can be detrimental when one seeks a "Harmonic Balance" to all the vibrations made.
 It's pretty common knowledge that really accurate guns are "bedded" in the frame to lessen as much interference as possible of unknown or unwanted vibration and position changes.
 I've personally found the same to be true with the Handi. We strive for the "lock-up" of the single break action to be the same each time we load, any small changes will change the barrel relation too the frame and change the point of impact. It may be small at say 100yrds, but exponentially more at 200 and beyond

A little time spent "bedding" the spacer firmly in a proper and repeatable position in the forearm and against it's small contact area of the frame and near the chamber of the barrel has improved the accuracy in all my Handi rifles,, No wiggle at the forearm spacer equals tighter groups.  ;)
 It works,, loose- don't work so good,, :-\
found elsewhere