Author Topic: advice on a new revolver  (Read 829 times)

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
advice on a new revolver
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
Its time to get a new revolver.  I want it for carrying and bedside.  Been thinking on a Model 60 .357 or a Ruger SP 101....I like hammers and need rear sites. Looking at 3" barrels.  I've had both Smith and Rugers before....like them both.  Any thoughts.....?

regards , irold

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: advice on a new revolver
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
I've never had the Ruger.  But I do have a S&W model 60 Pro with 3" barrel.  Absolutely love it.  Single action it's as smooth and light a trigger as I think you will find.  Double action is heavy and I am looking at swapping out the springs with a Wolff kit.  Accuracy is excellent.  I carry it more than my Kimber....and I really like my Kimber.  Plus the grip is long enough that my pinky isn't hanging out in space (I have average size hands).  It conceals well even in the inexpensive holster I have been using.  I have a FIST holster ordered and then it should conceal even better.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:38:32 PM »
I do have the ruger and rate it very highly. Since I use it as a carry gun I use the 2 1/2 inch without the hammer spur that might snag on clothing. I really like the weight and feel of the gun, and pointability. I use 38+p ammo for carry purposes. It is more than accurate enough for its purpose, and it is verry rugged and reliable, no worry about safeties, magazine release etc, just point and click. I have owned many Smiths, they were smoother, more polished, but for the money they are no more effective or reliable.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:47:20 AM »
I currently have an 3 inch SP 101 in 357 mag but have never fired a 357 mag in it as 38s do all I want.  I put a wolf spring kit in mine which made the trigger a lot better than it came from the factory.  I have a friend who has a Model 60 also with a 3 inch barrel.  It is a little smaller and lighter pistol but not as strong and the Ruger.  He likes to shoot 357 mags in his gun and after 2000 rounds he had to send it back to get tightened up as the gun was shooting loose.  I do not think you will have that problem with the Ruger.  With the spring kit in my gun the trigger pull of both pistols is just about the same as far as I can tell.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:38:03 AM »
Both are to heavy for carry IMHO. I have had both and still have the SP101. I say to heavy because I tried both and after trying a alloy frame gun the all SS guns are just heavy to tote all day. The 3 inch bbl also is to long to place in a pocket. I carry in a pocket because it works best year round for me. The hammer is a personal choice again I tried all three, hammer- shrouded hammer and conceled hammer. For carry the conc. hammer is best. Nothing to hang up or snag, you can get a higher (better) grip on the gun and can fire it in a pocket. Also less places for dirt to get in which is a biggie. I had guns not function from grit that had got in and caused the action to lock up.
Those are my experinces from years of trying to find a good carry gun. I tried large autos to compact ones . Tried several revolvers . The first that seemed to work well was a Airweighr body guard then a 340 PD . The 340 is 357 mag. Your need may be similar and maybe my experince will save you time and cash. If not then nothing lost. By the way if you go SS and the 101 there is the 327 Fed Mag out there with that 6th shot to consider.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:40:58 AM »
So why do I still have a 3 inch SP101 ? Its a good belt holster gun when hunting and fishing . Although I find myself with the 340 more in the field . Its that weight thing again at 12 ozs its easy to have with ya.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:49:11 AM »
The Ruger is heavy and the S&W isn't.  I've owned both.  I still have the S&W.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
Well , really appreciate the replies .  Good thought from all.  However , while looking at the smaller revolvers , I came across a  4 " , model 66 Smith. ( k frame ) Wow , what an action....it had to have been worked on , it was tight , no signs of wear and a decent price ....now it resides with me.  I was looking at grips ( hate those big sq butt grips ).  Found some Michleks ( sp ) grips for it....they look like they may be something I could like.  I really didn't need another med/lg revolver.......just couldn't pass it up.  The little one is just gonna have to wait.  Thanks to all

regards , irold

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »
The Ruger is heavy and the S&W isn't.  I've owned both.  I still have the S&W.

Empty the S&W is 24.5 oz the Ruger is 26 . Both fit the same holster . I guess 1.5 oz isn't so much to me. A change of grips alone could reverse the weights.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
 My buddy was looking for a medium/smallish revolver for his wife. I showed him a few, including my S&W Model 60, 3" barrel. He ordered a 3" Model 60 the next day. It's an easy one to like.

A 4" Model 66 is fine too.
NRA, Veteran

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:06:14 AM »
I have owned both Ruger and S&W the crane is weak on the S&W , if you push to hard on some of them when opening and ejecting spent cases it is possible to push the cyl. past the stop . I did this with one while shooting a BUG match. If you go the S&W route make sure it dosen't do so on your gun. I sent mine back to S&W they say its in spec. To be fair the owners at the time were not the ones today. 

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »
The model 66 is a nice looking revolver.  I can see why you wouldn't pass it up.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
Me I will use my Taurus in 4 inch have 3 in 357 mags

Offline temmi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 06:57:35 AM »
Its time to get a new revolver.  I want it for carrying and bedside.  Been thinking on a Model 60 .357 or a Ruger SP 101....I like hammers and need rear sites. Looking at 3" barrels.  I've had both Smith and Rugers before....like them both.  Any thoughts.....?

regards , irold

I like hammers

But

They do present some carry issues, getting hung up on clothing and all.

I stick with S&W J-frames myself.

Snake