Author Topic: First Antelope hunt a huge success  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
First Antelope hunt a huge success
« on: October 16, 2011, 06:47:01 AM »
Just got back from my first WY Antelope hunt.  I am addicted beyond repair!!!  We arrived at camp, set it up, and headed to Douglas to get some supplies- guns in the back of the truck, LOL. After leaving Douglas, we did a little scouting and found two nice bucks grazing on a micro sized piece of state trust land.  They looked good, and we decided to put the stalk on them.  Didn't even have on the hunting clothes- just threw on the orange hats and went.  Worked our way up on a butte over looking the bottom the bucks were feeding in. Lazed them at 208yds three times and checked the wind.  Good to go.  On the count of 3 me and my bud dropped the hammers on our rifles and scored our fist Lopes ever- and a double at that!!!  We were hooked right then and there!!

The next day, it was raining and windy, but we went out anyways.  My other friend wanted to see what was out there for him to shoot with his Muzzle loader.  We put the stalk on one and he missed at 225yds.  No biggie- go find another one.  We drove around for quite some time seeing nothing on public access but finally came across two nice bucks on a very small piece of BLM.  He managed to get within 100yds of it and sent the 245gr powerbelt into him. Last tag filled!!!

Spent the next day or so driving around looking at some nice antelope and mule deer.  Did some long range rock shooting with the rifles and had a good time.  The last day out there we went to a ranch and spent the better part of a day putting havoc on some prairie dog towns.  That is a freaking blast.

It's all a hot mess...........

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: First Antelope hunt a huge success
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 06:51:36 AM »
Life should always be so easy! Congrats.

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »
Congratulations, sounds like you guys had a great time.  Hopefully it will always be that easy.  What caliber's of rifles where you shooting?
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
I was shooting a 7mm-08 with 150gr Sierra SBTs and my friend was shooting a 25-06 with 115gr Nosler BTs.  As far a as easy- lol. Yes, almost a little too easy, but I am not tricked into thinking that it is always going to be that easy!!! ;D

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:38 AM »
Swift One,  Glad to hear you had a good time and you all got game. Myself and 2 others were there in the same area hunting the first week and had great sucess also.
 On Saturday  Oct. 1st ( opening day ) it hit 92 degrees and was in the 80's the next 4 days we hunted. We filled all our doe antelope tags and one of the local ranchers 2 sons who hang out with us took a muley buck and a whitetail doe while with us, lots of fun !!
Sorry to say I have no digital pics to post, we only had a one time / disposable camera with us and dont have those pics back yet.    ;D       Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:51:46 AM »
Good deal Jedman, and thanks again for giving me that great piece of intell!!!! ;)   Leda told me to tell you "Hi".  Ya, I'm hooked on Wyoming.