Author Topic: well the new cdl is finally here  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: well the new cdl is finally here
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 02:35:36 AM »
It probably doesnt. But ive owned probably 50 bolt action rifles through the years and after years of trying them both ways ive came to this conclusion. Most every bolt action rifle will shoot better bedded and with the barrel channel floated. It also makes a gun more stable in high moisture areas that tend to slightly warp stocks and put pressure where it doesnt belong. Ive seen some drastic improvements in accuracy and about the worse ive seen is a couple guns i did it to didnt get any better but also didnt get any worse. So anymore i dont even bother wasting my time and components working up loads just to find out i have a finiky shooter and need to bed and float it and then have to start all over.
Ive got a buddy who is a stock maker. Hes got it right now floating and bedding it. When he gets down ill shoot a couple pics.

Why does the bedding have to be done over on a new rifle?

How did it shoot before bedding?

Well we will have to disagree on this as the best shooting rifles I own all have pressure point bedding and non floated barrels. As for damp well you just described the UK to a tee!

In fact I have a vintage BSA Majestic Featherweight in .243 that I might have to replace the stock on because some moron had wreck the barrel channel free floating it. The Majestic has a very slim fore stock. I will try with some coloured filler first and see if we can reclaim and bed the rifle as it was supposed to be with a pressure point just back from the tip.

Then there is the stock off the 270 Majestic that is no on the .280 AI project that a real moron wreck not only hogging out the barrel channel so it's almost a knife edge at the sides but also sanding off the fore stock chequering panels further reducing the slim fore stock  >:( [size=78%] [/size]some folks need their heads looked at![size=78%] [/size]

Fortunately there are some new old stock stocks still about so I will get one for this rifle. Just have to decide on which style. The slim Majestic of the slightly later Monarch stock. The 280 is built on a Monarch action but with a bit of alteration for the safety the Majestic stock will fit.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »
Well ive been working up loads for it the last couple weeks. Seems to like 100 grain bullets better then then 120s. best loads were 70 grains of 7828sc fed match mag primer and a sierra flat base spitzer. Two five shot groups today. One 5/8s of an inch and one 3/4. Same load with a 100 ballistic tip went 3/4s and 7/8s for 5 shots. Most of the other groups with various 100s and 120s went around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. Nothing shot exceptionaly pour out of it other then, SORRY SWAMPY. 100 grain corelocks that went over 2 inch. I was a bit nervous as ive seen mixed reviews on the cdls in 257 but this ones seems to do just fine. Sure is alot less finiky then the old vangurad 257 was. By the way all bullets were shot with 7828. re22, re25 H1000 and retumbo. all were also shot with cci mags and fed match mags. Just about accross the board it did best with the 7828 and fed primers.

I guess my friends older Weatherby Vanguard sporter is the exception. I hand load 120 grain Nosler Partition with IMR-7828 and of course Fed 215 large rifle magnum primers with total success.

Curious did Remington include the freebore chamber found in Weatherby's?

yooper77

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »
Years back, when I shot a lot more than I do now, I'd buy a box of ammo and shoot a new rifle a few times on the way home. Didn't matter how it shot, it got bedded before I did anything else with it. I was in Alaska when I saw my first Vanguard. Wood stock and blue steel. Really like them! I just can't warm up to stainless steel and plastic.
Why would any guy risk opening a new rifle in front of anyone's wife?
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »
never really checked it but im guessing yes as i can seat out bullets as long as the mag well without them hitting the rifling. Thing is that the gun actually shoots better with them seated to the overal max lenght stated in the loading manuals then it does with bullets seated out as long as possible.
Well ive been working up loads for it the last couple weeks. Seems to like 100 grain bullets better then then 120s. best loads were 70 grains of 7828sc fed match mag primer and a sierra flat base spitzer. Two five shot groups today. One 5/8s of an inch and one 3/4. Same load with a 100 ballistic tip went 3/4s and 7/8s for 5 shots. Most of the other groups with various 100s and 120s went around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. Nothing shot exceptionaly pour out of it other then, SORRY SWAMPY. 100 grain corelocks that went over 2 inch. I was a bit nervous as ive seen mixed reviews on the cdls in 257 but this ones seems to do just fine. Sure is alot less finiky then the old vangurad 257 was. By the way all bullets were shot with 7828. re22, re25 H1000 and retumbo. all were also shot with cci mags and fed match mags. Just about accross the board it did best with the 7828 and fed primers.

I guess my friends older Weatherby Vanguard sporter is the exception. I hand load 120 grain Nosler Partition with IMR-7828 and of course Fed 215 large rifle magnum primers with total success.

Curious did Remington include the freebore chamber found in Weatherby's?

yooper77
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
well it fianly took meat last night. We started crop damage shooting and it went 3 for 3. Nothing out really far though. Longest shot was right at 300 yards and the other two were around 150. Load was a 100 grain sierra flat base at about 3500fps. No tracking nessisary!!
blue lives matter

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
well it fianly took meat last night. We started crop damage shooting and it went 3 for 3. Nothing out really far though. Longest shot was right at 300 yards and the other two were around 150. Load was a 100 grain sierra flat base at about 3500fps. No tracking nessisary!!

Good to hear. I have never used that particular bullet, sounds like it worked. I know the 117SBT does a fine job!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
Nice going.

What happens to the meat on these crop protection permits?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »
3 more last night with it. Where the meat goes is up to us. The 3 of us take alot of it. I do all my buger for the year and do about a 100lb of summer sausage every year, can proably another 100lbs  and also keep back straps and a few roasts. About a 1/4 of the deer are donated to the local food bank and probably 20 every year go to freinds and family. truth be told i could use even more then i keep but it just gets to be a chore to cut them up after doing one to three of them every day for two months. terrible thing is that some states demand you leave the deer where it falls and wont let you recover the meat. I dont know what there thinking doing that.
blue lives matter

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 04:05:36 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I knew that some refused to allow it to be used, or that's the way it used to be, what a waste. Our regulations are very different but now I cannot even give meat away as I do not have the "right" certificate to say the meat is OK. Get the certificate and you can sell the meat to the game dealer. This isa fairly recent change and is also blamed on the EU but if our government had said up yours to them well that would have been another matter.

Meanwhile I am almost out of venison so will have to look into getting some more. At least two species/sex of deer is in season any time of the year here only Christmas day is off limits to deer hunting.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 12:03:56 AM »
Funny thing is if i take a deer during nomal deer hunting season i cannot legaly give it away. theres even a 3 month time period where you are suppose to eat it up. Nobody inforces these laws though. there on the books mostly to add counts to pochers that get caught. Crop damage shooting though they incourage you to donate some to freinds and organizations. I guess they figure if they didnt work it like that after about 20 deer you wouldnt want to bother shooting anymore because your freezers would be full. I was allways under the impression that hunting was real limited in your neck of the woods and only the rich brits had hunting oportunitys and that they were tightly controled.
blue lives matter

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
I was allways under the impression that hunting was real limited in your neck of the woods and only the rich brits had hunting oportunitys and that they were tightly controled.

I hear that a lot. We have six huntable deer species here:-

Muntjac
Chinese Water Deer (CWD)
Roe Deer
Sika
Fallow
Red deer

Lots of people also think Reds are only found in Scotland when in fact the biggest Reds are found in Norfolk, The Lake District or the South West ( Devon, Somerset).

There are seasons on red, Roe, Fallow and Sika but no close seasons on either CWD or Muntjac as they breed all year round. There are separate seasons for male and female deer. Right now Fallow and Roe Bucks are in season.

The Game licence has been abolished in England & Wales but has been retained in Scotland it costs £6 per year for the red one which lasts almost the entire year. In fact one does not even need to own a rifle to hunt deer as one can use an "Estate" rifle. As we don't own land with deer and out field is small I usually buy my stalking by the outing (morning or evening)  or by the day. There is no public land hunting. Forestry Commision land even though owned by the public as such is let out on tender.

Deer stalking (Hunting) is an ever growing past time here.