Author Topic: NEF Bull Barrel Dimensions  (Read 592 times)

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
NEF Bull Barrel Dimensions
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »
Is the Handi Bull barrel well...... bull?? :o   I just happened to have my 357 22" and my 22" 308 bull barrel laying side by side this afternoon on the bench and happened to noticed they really didn't look any different.  Took the handi veneers and measured...... the 357 came up .747 at the muzzle and the 308 measured .804 at the muzzle.  Seems to me the 357 might be a little heavier than some perhaps for the "sporter" class barrel but the 308 is pretty light for a heavy or bull barrel.  I would have expected the measurement to be more like .900 or there abouts.  Is this the normal for a Handi or has/is there a true heavy barrel?  If so I'd have to doubt the "bull" barrel is worth the extra money, especially considering it's the same length as a standard barrel. 
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: NEF Bull Barrel Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
Bull barrels are ~.800" at the muzzle, big bores(44mag, 444, 45-70) are also about .800" except the 45 Colt which is ~.700" and the 500S&W which is ~.870", but are not considered bull barrels. All of H&R's modern standard barrels have a heavy contour, up to .750", so heavy many incorrectly call them bull barrels, just the way they make em.  ;) If you look at the accessory barrel list, you'll see which barrels are called bull barrels, some of the descriptions on their site will also describe them as heavy, like the 45-70 Ultra Hunter.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: NEF Bull Barrel Dimensions
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
Yep, you are right about them not being true 'bull' barrels; just think of them as H&R's 'bull barrel'. They have been this way as long as I know on the rifles, not sure about the USH models.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974