Author Topic: 5mm wildcats.  (Read 991 times)

Offline The Cast Bullet Kid

• Trade Count: (0)
5mm wildcats.
« on: July 29, 2003, 03:02:45 PM »
:D Hi
I have scored a 5mm rimfire barrel.
Toying with the idea of a Martini action 5mm wildcat but probably not 5mm Craig.
What small case 5mm rounds are around?  Looking for Hornet/Bee sized case.
cheers
TCBK
Cheers

Jeff

Offline rodgervich

5mm wildcat
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 05:39:19 PM »
Depending on bore/groove diameter for your barrel you could possibly use any of the .20 caliber cartridges that are gaining in popularity recently. There is a .20 Vartarg that I believe is in the size range you are looking at, pretty sure it's based on the .221 Fireball. Try the link below and see if it helps. If nothing there suits you why not make your own 5mm Hornet, that would be pretty easy. 5mm bullets are not hard to find but you won't find them on the shelf at your local shop, casting a .22 and having a 5mm sizer would be pretty cool too, maybe a little heavy though.
It's more fun to have something you made up yourself anyway. I make my own reamers and dies so I have flexibility in what I can make.

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley/twentycaliber.html

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
5mm wildcats.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 01:01:59 PM »
Because you are thinking Martini, that will pretty much limit you to a rimmed case.  Rogervich is about on.  Something like a K Hornet  or 218 Bee necked down would be the most practical.  Trying to use something like a 38 Special case will cause fits necking down.  Too radical; like making 256 Winchesters from 357.  Would probably have to neck to 30 then 25 then 22 then 20, or something on that order.  Even with the extra case capacity I doubt you would really need it or want it.  The small cases would be easier all around.

Offline Catfish

5mm wildcats.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 07:42:12 AM »
It is very easy to neck down .22 Hornet cases and fire form them in the 5mm Rem. chamber. If all you have is the barrel just pick your self up a .22 Hornet and switch barrels. Set your head space and neck size with a .5mm neck sizer. Should make a real nice carry gun for groundhog to coyotes, within 150 yrds.