Author Topic: A note from one of the new moderators  (Read 692 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
A note from one of the new moderators
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
While this is a new job for me here, I have been moderating a couple of other forums for quite a while so I have established a record of my style in both places (the Gunsmithing forum at Practical Machinist and the Gunsmithing forum at Home Machinist, there with a couple of co-moderators.)  So if you want to see my style, so to speak, you can visit those sites. 

Generally, I will not have a heavy hand except with feuds or flame wars.  We can attack ideas without attacking each other.  If you are going to post, be prepared to have people contest your posts.  And stay within the Graybeard posting requirements; keep your material suitable for viewing by children (we haven't seemed to have a problem here.)

Doug and Tim have done a great job managing the forum and I hope to continue their record.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: A note from one of the new moderators
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »
I have been to both sites in the past and noted your gunsmithing section which is why I knew GB made a good choice in bringing you one here I doubt much will really change here just the titles..
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
One other note--I have a kind of formal and sometimes blunt writing style that sometimes is interpreted to mean things that it doesn't mean.  If I get on someone's case, it will be obvious, not something that has to be discerned between the lines.  If you have a question about one of my posts, PM me for a clarification rather than stewing about it.

When I first started posting on forums, I didn't really like all the smilies, but I have come to the conclusion that judicious use of them can clarify intent.  A smilie at the end of a sentence can communicate a jesting intent when the words may connote the opposite.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »
Thanks George  :-)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »
 ::)  And if you do need to publicly spank someone this one comes in handy as to intent:

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:57:34 AM »
Hey, George, here's a slight oxymoron for you: If you ever feel the need to spank a member publicly, do it privately; sounds like Yogi Berra! :D   Now here's some gratis advice for both you and Norm, on how to conduct yourselves with honor, dignity, and a balanced sense of fairness while managing our board; just always keep in mind how Mussolini met his end! :o :P ;)

Seriously folks; I don't think that there's any doubt, that George and Norm are excellent choices to be our new moderators, and that they will both do outstanding jobs while at the helm of our forum. Good luck to you both.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:09:59 AM »
Generally, I will not have a heavy hand except with feuds or flame wars.  We can attack ideas without attacking each other. 

On the 1st interwebs forum I visited, the mod stated that if one were to see him post "play the ball, not the man," everybody better cool it lest they all get a time out for a month or three.  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes