Poll

Are leupold scopes over priced compared to the competition?

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: January 08, 2004, 09:05:53 AM

Author Topic: Leupold vari x II & III closeouts  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold vari x II & III closeouts
« on: January 01, 2004, 09:05:53 AM »
I got an email today from Midway USA about the close out "sale" going on. Yeah, at the same prices as normal. Hey Jon, is this Leupold's policy too? Nothing like an arogant price gouger!!! IF this is Leupold's pricing policy on closeouts they're same as Exxon, Shell, etc..
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 01:59:59 PM »
Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a Leupold. If you can afford one or think they are to high priced, don't buy one. I have 4 of them and am replacing most of my other scopes with them. You get what you pay for in my opinion.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline razmuz

• Contributor
HERE'S WHAT I'VE BEEN HEARING
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 04:47:34 PM »
A new company is going to be putting out a real cheap scope that is as good as anything out there, with a lifetime warranty.  A whole lot of companies are going to be getting rid of thier high priced scopes and coming out with cheaper ones in order to compete.  The new company is called "ALPEN", I think?  I saw this on a Bird Watching web site.  They said the "Alpin" binoculars were as good as anything from Germany for around $200.00.  Back to your question, Leupold  graces all my favorite rifles.  Mine are all the old "gold ring" types.  I don't have any information on any Leuoold thats not at least 30 years old.  Good Luck.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 03:06:50 AM »
Dave,

I am not sure on that one.  We still had our MAP pricing on our site, but had people call for pricing, which was discounted.  We sold out of the most popular ones very fast.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 05:03:35 AM »
If you compare the quality of an Elite 4200 to a Vari-X III (of which I own several of both) then yes, the Vari-X III is overpriced.  

That's not to say that the Vari-X is not a good scope - because it is.  It's just that the 4200 is BETTER and LESS EXPENSIVE.

Now, I hear that Leupold is coming out with a NEW and IMPROVED Vari-X III, which is supposed to have light transmission that is better than the 4200.  Assuming that to be true, then the Vari-X III will be something that I would buy, but I know that I would still be paying more than I should for it.

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 06:11:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Jon. Zachary, I agree Leupold makes some good scopes. There are some that have the best features in their class. Some of the VX 2 scopes are competitive in price. The VX 3 line prices seem out the window. No, there is no one twisting my arm to buy them. With their pricing policy Leupold is not attracting my business either. I don't want to see Leupold out of business. Weaver is making a slow comeback. I don't know if Redfield is out of the woods yet. My point here is once you get into financial trouble it's very hard to turn things around in such a competitive world.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 05:56:36 PM »
Sounds like the problem is Midway, which is why I will not do any business with them.  Grafs and Natchez had theirs on clearance at a high markdown.  Grafs had the VXII 3-9x40 for $216, I believe it is normally $269.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 07:26:46 AM »
I guess all of the outlets post the MAP price but are discounting the older models if you call them. It's not just Midway. I still think it's a piss poor policy and that trail leads back to Leupold.
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 01:48:52 PM »
The ones I saw were listed with the price in flyers I received from Graf's and Natchez in the last week.

Offline Gregory

Graf Closeout prices
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »
These prices seem pretty good for new scopes:

http://grafs.com/closeout03.pdf

3.5-10X Matte VXIII for under $350
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)