Author Topic: Centerless Gas-Check?  (Read 811 times)

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Centerless Gas-Check?
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »
Hello, everyone..As if I didn't have enough to keep me busy..two rifles I haven't even shot yet (waiting on front sight inserts) for one, brass & cast-bullet prep on second.
   I happened to come across an item I had made up several years ago, and really didn't give it the workout it deserved..perhaps now?...Hope we have a long fall.
   I have always had trouble with .22 gas-checks.  They are so thin, most have a "wave" in bottom.
Even by annealing, and flattening with special punch for lubrisizer, doesn't remove & leave perfect base.
   What to do?  I called Corbin, and had a punch made up for reloading press.  This will punch out center of check, leaving about .06" wide rim on bottom.  This takes care of warped base.
  Checks crimp on as usual.
I should do a side by side test with these, and unaltered checks..maybe this year?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Centerless Gas-Check?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »
Ever heard of Wilke gas checks? Sounds like you have just made some. The idea with those is you not only put them on the base of the bullet but you put them into the mould and pour the bullet around them, sort of like copper driving bands. I never tried it, but evidently they allow speeds not normally attainable with normal cast bullets. What you are trying should work very well, BTW.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline william iorg

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
 I studied the Wilke gas check closely.
I wondered if Wilke had seen the May 1944 issue of the American Rifleman. In the Dope Bag Harry O. Dean suggested the same gas check with the center cut out and slipped into the front band location in the mold.
Harry’s idea was for a special mold with smooth sides and a grove up forward to accept the inverted gas check.
Harry O. Dean was one of my boyhood gunwriter hero’s as he was a fan of the “Twenty Twins” - the 25-20 and the 32-20 and he wildcatted the Improved 25-20, the 255 Dean,
Slim

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:19:04 AM »
I studied the Wilke gas check closely.
I wondered if Wilke had seen the May 1944 issue of the American Rifleman. In the Dope Bag Harry O. Dean suggested the same gas check with the center cut out and slipped into the front band location in the mold.
Harry’s idea was for a special mold with smooth sides and a grove up forward to accept the inverted gas check.
Harry O. Dean was one of my boyhood gunwriter hero’s as he was a fan of the “Twenty Twins” - the 25-20 and the 32-20 and he wildcatted the Improved 25-20, the 255 Dean,

I never heard of that writer although, the mag I gravitated to in my youth was Outdoor Life. I lived for the "It happened To Me" article every month.
Anyway, I tried the Wilke method but there too troublesome to load in the moulds. The bullets that I did produce were beautiful and shot fine but my time was being spent on producing bullets, that in comparrison to my salary, were about $150 a box.
I myself am a fan of the "Twin Twentys". I like that name because it's synonomous with the two artillary weapons.
I'm currently experimenting with the 25-20 since I aquired a Bowen Blackhawk conversion in 25-20 that shoots better than I can.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline william iorg

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »
 Your Blackhawk should be an interesting project.
Harry O. Dean wrote articles and small submissions for the American Rifleman and other magazines from the 1940’s through the 1960’s. Dean also wrote several interesting articles for Shooting Times in the early 1960’s and for the Gun Digest of the same period.
Dean developed the 255 Dean an Improved 25-20 in the 1940’s. Dean’s primary interest was in the Savage Model 23. Dean wrote regularly on the 25-20 and 32-20 cartridges and their use as small game and varmint cartridges.
When the 256 Winchester Magnum came on the scene, Dean was an enthusiastic supporter, along with Ed Yard, another writer and fan of small game and varmint cartridges.
E. C. “Ned” Crossman coined the term: “Twenty Twins” in the 1930’s.
Slim