Author Topic: What are SB, SB1 and SB2 Recievers?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
What are SB, SB1 and SB2 Recievers?
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
Hi All,
    Just started reading in here. Can anyone enlighten me in what the SB, SB1 and SB2 recievers are?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: What are SB, SB1 and SB2 Recievers?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »
Well the SB1 is a shotgun frame and the SB2 is a rifle frame. Of course the SB1 can be found with a large firing pin or a small firing pin. There's the SB1 that's used on the 357/44 mags and is stamped accordingly. The SB2's are found on the Handi rifles but some of them were outsourced so aren't able to be fitted with a rifle barrel... even though it came from the factory as a rifle. There is an SB2 shotgun frame too but it isn't the same as the SB2 rifle frame... it's a bigger frame for use with a 10 ga. barrel. There's the old frames which have no designation at all. They're not SB1 or SB2... and they had rifle and shotgun barrels on them at one time.
I ain't even scratched the surface yet... are you confused??  I am. :o   Just keep reading... it's all in here somewhere. I promise you, it's in here. ;)
Oh yeah, I almost forgot... there's the Huntsman and Sidekick frames too. One is alot shorter than an SB1 or SB2 and the other one is the same size but they're made for muzzleloaders. ???    Like I said... keep reading.

Spanky

Offline Sprint

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:51:04 AM »
flmason,

Welcome.  The SB, SB1 & SB2 designations originated with New England Firearms Co., Inc in 1987.

SB stood for "Single Barrel"
SB1 was the model designation for the shotgun line.
SB2 was the model designation for rifles using the investment cast frame.
The 10 Ga. frame was also investment cast, so was designated as SB2.

Hope this helps clear things up for you.

Sprint

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »
Read the FAQs, absord the FAQs, become one with the FAQs.
They are your friend  ;D
The short of it is, you dont want to put a rifle caliber barrel on a shotgun frame even if it is a small firing pin, they arent made of the right stuff for high pressure. You can put the shotgun barrels or those in pistol calibers, if it is the small firing pin, on a shotgun frame. With lighter loads the large F-pin may work OK with the pistol calibers, but might cause primer flow issues with hotter loads.
On the premo SB2 frame you can do it all except for the big 10ga. and (maybe?) one of the superfat 12s.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »
Interesting. At some point I'd like to create an NEF/H&R equivalent to the Rossi Trifecta. But with the advantage of an adult sized setup. Would also basically like .22 LR, 30-06 and 12 Gauge.

Is that doable with the SB2 frame?

If so that's make me a happy camper at some point. I like the idea of a kit that would allow me to cover all game types and situations all in one case.

Trifecta is a nice concept, but I keep reading the .243 is inaccurate and after picking one up, liked it, but the youth size didn't really seem to point right for me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »
H&R has made 3-barrel combos before including that exact combination, easy to do with the accessory barrel program except for the rimfire barrel which is no longer made, but the 22Lr Versa-Pak which has an offset bore to work on the centerfire frame, can be found used sometimes, there have been many bought and sold in the H&R classifieds.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »
H&R has made 3-barrel combos before including that exact combination, easy to do with the accessory barrel program except for the rimfire barrel which is no longer made, but the 22Lr Versa-Pak which has an offset bore to work on the centerfire frame, can be found used sometimes, there have been many bought and sold in the H&R classifieds.

Tim

Cool. To bad the stopped cranking them out. Wonder why? Seems like .22/30-06/12 gauge, especially with a screw in choke, would be a massive seller.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
They still make 2-barrel combos in 30-06 or 270 Win with 20ga barrels, Bud's had em in stock recently, but the rimfire barrel will take some lookin.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:16:44 AM »
Not wanting rain on your parade......but most of us who went the swap barrel route have gone to dedicated frames. The only swap set I have really left is the 22LR/22Mag and the old 12ga. has been staying the slug Buck barrel, I use my 20s for shot, (the Buck barrel in cyl, bore shoots shot really well too, if I 'need' to).
The novelty of swapping changed for me when it always seemed I had a different barrel on than the one I wanted to play with, or needed to grab quick for the issue at hand.
I suggest a Sportster 22 in a short bag (mine fits a Daisy BB gun bag nicely), not much longer than a barrel with a scope hanging off the back end.
BTW, shotguns are soooo cheap complete that there is no reason not to just have one.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »
Not wanting rain on your parade......but most of us who went the swap barrel route have gone to dedicated frames. The only swap set I have really left is the 22LR/22Mag and the old 12ga. has been staying the slug Buck barrel, I use my 20s for shot, (the Buck barrel in cyl, bore shoots shot really well too, if I 'need' to).
The novelty of swapping changed for me when it always seemed I had a different barrel on than the one I wanted to play with, or needed to grab quick for the issue at hand.
I suggest a Sportster 22 in a short bag (mine fits a Daisy BB gun bag nicely), not much longer than a barrel with a scope hanging off the back end.
BTW, shotguns are soooo cheap complete that there is no reason not to just have one.

It's more about portablility than anything else, weight reduction. I'm thinking I should know what I'm hunting for and barrel up as needed, and that some defensive sidearm would be my resort for problems like bears and bad people. Hence the idea of the sidearm being .357 or .44.

The scenario I'm thinking of is that of being on foot for an extended time.

But yes, given that you're in the preferable situation of being able to store several firearms, yeah, having dedicated frames makes sense. Seems folks that use the Rossi Trifecta complain of accuracy changing with successive barrel swaps.  Though other folks seem to get tack drivers. Not sure what's up with that.

Anyway, the overall idea was, "What's the smallest 'covers everything' arrangement." One direction of research was swappable barrels for hunting. (.22/12 gauge/30-06 should be good for all of lower 48) and one good "trouble gun" on the hip.

The other thought was, .22 handgun, .44 handgun and Pardner Pump. Me personally, I'm good to 100 yards with a Super Blackhawk. The .22 covers small game and the Pardner can be made to cover anything. And in this arrangement, everything is a repeater, which is a plus at times. But it's costlier as well. It also leaves out the 30 caliber rifle ranges. But to be honest, most of the hunting I've done in my life was in places where you couldn't see 100 yards. So I've never really found myself saying... "Ya know, what I need here is a scoped, belted magnum so I can hit." I've pretty much always found myself in the, "I need to be a better hunter, find 'em and get closer" camp.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 04:55:12 AM »
Problem is, we have too many choices available to capture the imagination.
Years ago they had one gun and would dance with who they brung.........
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 01:16:10 PM »
Problem is, we have too many choices available to capture the imagination.
Years ago they had one gun and would dance with who they brung.........

Good point.

But even my great grand dad had 3 shotguns, LOL! A 12 and 16 ga. break action and an 1898(?) Marlin pump I think it was. At least that's what got passed down.

I'm in the, .22, 30-06, 12 guage and a defensive gun are all I really should ever need camp. So's maybe throw in an AR, AK and your choice of defensive sidearm and for practical purposes, what else could one need?

Am attracted to the simple shotguns because the load variations along with hunting skill can determine everything. Problem is, for small game, just can't beat the cost equation of .22, and for defense, follow up shots is a good thing, LOL!