Author Topic: OT - Jeeps & Handis  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Littlepage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: OT - Jeeps & Handis
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
1980 cj7 :)

Offline JMcDonald

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
I miss my Samurai :D .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 03:01:21 AM »
Thanks for the call out BB!!   ;)  WOW!! A post dedicated to Jeeps and Guns.. what could be better?!?!? (Maybe ATV's too!)

LOVE that Scrambler Sturgeon!!!!

Tim, floorboards in mud is usually a stuck!!  LOL

Yea I have and have had a "few"  ::) .
Now I am down to two, the wife's '04 Libby and my '99 TJ.

BUT I recently sold my "baby"  A 1998 Jeep Comanche with orig. 69K miles and tons of extras... New axles HI D30 front and D44 out back, re geared 4:56. Detroit locker rear, Aussie up front. T case from a Dakota, its a HD 231 with 6 planetarys and a wider chain. Metric 35" tires bumpers, roll bar Borla exhaust.... yada yada yada...

I also had a 1988 two door Cherokee. This one was a auto with a stock D44 LS rear and stock HiP D30 fornt 4;10 gears, #1' tires and a 3.5" lift.

The last one is a 1986 CJ with everything you want to find in a CJ.. 258 engine, Disc brakes, D44 rear 3;55 gears niot aweful rust and a clean frame... OOH and new crate motor with 25K miles and under 100 on the rest.

I have also had a couple more Cherokees and a early MB but don't have digital pics.. I do like jeeps ;)

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 07:10:55 AM »
Thanks for the pictures CW!

I love these Jeep threads, especially when people start to post the pictures of their passion.

BTW, that first Jeep is a beast!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »
Thanks for the pictures CW!

I love these Jeep threads, especially when people start to post the pictures of their passion.

BTW, that first Jeep is a beast!

Thanks sir!

There isn't too much stock left in it!!  I haven't been inside the engine... I did put new Intake, Throttle body, Header and Exhaust system... The body is mostly stock with add ons ;)
 The drive line consists of a front axle that was swapped to a 760 jointed, alloy shafted, Hi pinion D30 that I re geared to 4:10 and a Aussie automatic locker. Its connected to another HD Dakota NV231 Tcase W/ wide chain, 6 planetary gears from a 4:1 kit and a slip yoke eliminator kit. The AX15 was swapped for a NV3500 tranny (B&M shifter) and Tom Woods drive shafts front and rear. Rear axle is a 31 Spline Ford 8.8 factory geared 4:10 with a ECTED electric locker. Currently rolling on 35" BFG Mud Terrains.
Inside:  Corbeau suspension seats, DURA BACK liner on floors. Full roll cage with extra lateral supports above, on the sides and in the back. The results are a very safe, stiff, and positive feel.

The one below is a video:

Hope I haven't bored anyone... I'm prowd of "Eugene"!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
jeeps and handis 
 ;D ;D ;D kinda like peanut butter and jelly. ;D ;D or maybe even biscuits and gravy  ;D ;D
if you have one it makes the other so much better... 8) 8) yes a liberty counts... even those ones with  square head lights.  :o :o even one off the show room floor counts.. that goes for handis too.. ;D good like with both...
         rw

A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
I was beginning to worry about my manhood with the Liberty being the choice of teenage girls and CW's wife havin' one name "Libby". ::)   But all is not lost as a fellow a couple of miles west of me has one with what has to be at least a 6 inch lift kit and some fairly agressive lookin' rubber. ;D   I am hopin' his lift kit is from buyin' after market parts and not the used running gear from a CJ5, near dark and couldn't see the front axle.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 04:18:59 AM »
So.......just to be clear about this.........a Lib is a chick magnet?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 04:57:47 AM »
So.......just to be clear about this.........a Lib is a chick magnet?

In my case (an old graybeard with an oxygen bottle) I would think the magnetic properties of the Jeep would be more than cancelled out. :(

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 05:43:13 AM »
I have seen a couple of Liberty's on 35's and they still don't look too manly to me.  Sorry if I offended anyone.  The whole new jeep line up isn't very manly with the exception of the wrangler.  It is borderline.  They added a lot of creature comforts to appeal to your non traditional jeepers.  Not anyone could hop in a pre 2005 jeep and take off.  They were a special case to drive.  If you didn't know what you were doing you would be all over the road with one. 

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 06:00:25 AM »
Eugene is too cool CW!  8)

Hate to say it, but a lot of those late model Jeeps, the only off roading they will ever see is the mall parking lots.  :(
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
My daily driver is a '99 Cherokee Sport 4.0 straight six 5 speed with 238K miles. In the warm weather I average 25 mpg commuting to work. I'm going to drive it into the ground. A guy I know had an '87 Comanche with 335K miles on it. He only junked it because the frame rotted, he drove it to the scrap yard still running good.

The recycler probably didn't scrap it, but kept it for a yard vehicle. ;)

BB

That's what I would have done with it :)

I also had a 71 International Scout and an 81 AMC Eagle SX4 back in the day, each had the classic Jeep 258.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »
I just got finished building a Handi Gun Shelf in my jeep.  There isn't any good place to put a gun rack in a TJ.  So I built an overhead shelf that goes between the roll bars.

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »
So sad killing off those Jeep Four Bangers. :(  A death camp for these American Vets, only Democrats could have thought up "Cash for Clunkers". ???

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 12:59:57 AM »
I haven't taken mine off-road in two years now. But since I first got it it saw many miles on class 6 roads as well as a number of hard core rock crawling.
I drive slow and easy, Slow as you can, fast as you have to... I did put it on its side once.. it was like slow motion (In reality, not just to me) and only put two small dents and broke the mirror. We where able to "rite" it and off I went completing the trail.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 05:13:52 AM »
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (plush Butt model).  Found it after we totaled a Ford Escape.  Bought it down at big retirement place, Sun City Az., at an estate sale.  Had under 19000 miles on it.  After 6 years with us it still has less than 60000 miles on it and the Michelin aftermarket tires.  Tires are too stiff but I am too cheap to replace them until they wear out.  Wife and I have taken it places where we were probably pushing the envelope but we always got out.  Here in Az you always carry water, water, water, first aid, iron rations, a cell phone and my personal addition is an H&R Handi 20ga cut down to 20" barrell with a 34" overall length.  I have been Talked toby both Navajo and Apache police.  Never got any hassle with them about the shotgun in the back seat.  My wife though let me have an earful for taking up so much time talking about the way I did it with the Native police.

Hodr

Oh by the way you also carry a high lift jack strapped to the front, wife thought it looked dumb until the first time we needed it.
TANSTAAFL

Offline Bubajunk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »
 After buying my 83 CJ-8 Scrambler I quickly learned two things, 1. Jeep actually stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket" and that if you are not careful 4wd drive will just enable you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place.  :)
Take care, be good and do good things

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 05:12:41 PM »
my suggestions would be don't ever use the back windows they will fail, and get a 4 wheel alignment every month or it will eat front tires, probably just the one we had but i went through 10 set of fronts in the 6 months i had it, until a local shop did a 4 wheel and the last set made it 2 months

Offline tdoor

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
Myfirst and only Jeep thats mine is a 1948 CJ2A 134 L head total org condition.  Family Jeep is a 2001 Jeep grand Charokee, and I have morem handies than i need 

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
my suggestions would be don't ever use the back windows they will fail, and get a 4 wheel alignment every month or it will eat front tires, probably just the one we had but i went through 10 set of fronts in the 6 months i had it, until a local shop did a 4 wheel and the last set made it 2 months

I bought a set of tires for mine back in 2003, and finally this past spring I put on a new set.

Didn't really need them, but didn't trust them due to age!  Never had an alignment problem at all, and I drove it through some ruff terrain on many occassions.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've spent less money on this vehicle on repairs than any of the dozen of other vehicles I've owned over the years.

Just maintainance, and she just keeps on keeping on!....198,000 miles and counting!

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
Found my pic.  Hadn't restored from backup after my reinstall.  hehe

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline sturgeonhunter

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »
very nice jeep CW

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 04:30:09 AM »
My first was a 57 Wagon with the F head four banger.  Gutless.  Another GI traded me a 6" Model 29 S&W for it, and we were both happy.
Second was an 88 Cherokee with the 4.0 and AW4.  Could not cure the overheating, blow the plastic tank thing, and gave it to my son.  It was a decent rig, but a pain in the butt to have to stop and switch bottles when it split halfway up a hill.
Then, a friend of mine in Michigan gave me a 47 CJ2A, original, but I have to go get it, just waiting till I get enough bucks saved up for the round trip from Idaho.
I owned a 79 CJ7 for awhile, but as soon as I got the steering fixed, and the carburetor on the 258 working well, a local Dr. offered me a LOT more than I had in it, and let it go.  Haven't missed it a bit.
Currently, I'm driving a 98 Cherokee Sport, four door, 4.0 AX15 five speed, and have to admit that I like, really like, the Chrysler injection a LOT more than the RENIX on the 88, and a real cooling system.  I also have got a best of 27 mpg out of it on several trips, but with a load in, it does about 22.  This one is a Billy Goat, but all of the bushings and shocks are about shot, so I'm contemplating a lift and bigger tires, but I'm thinking of going Dana 60's out of an old F350 Ford front and rear, a slip yoke eliminator, new driveshafts, and have been looking at the Chev small block/700R4 conversion from Novak Enterprises while I'm at it, if this 4.0 EVER dies.  I'm also thinking of stripping out the entire electrical system and starting over.  Hell, I figure a drunken monkey could do a better electrical system than Chrysler has EVER put together!
Still, I miss my old 72 Bronco the most........
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 04:40:51 AM »
got a buffalo classic 3 month ago and my first jeep two weeks ago they do look good together

VERY COOL....

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline AlaninNM

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 11:23:03 PM »
+1 on the Bronco!