Author Topic: Handi rifle to pistol?  (Read 388 times)

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
Handi rifle to pistol?
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
I have been wanting an Encore pistol for a while. Wonder if anyone has made a pistol out of a Handi rifle? I know you'd need the tax stamp, etc and cost would be as much as buying the Encore pistol but just wondering if anyone has done it. I'd like to see pics. I think with a thumbhole laminate stock cut down to a pistol grip and a nice lam forend a 444 with 14" barrel would be a formidable contender against an Encore or, er, Contender. :D
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Handi rifle to pistol?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »
Not sure if it's considered 'manufacturing' a handgun or converting a rifle into an NFA firearm.  You may need a manufacturer's license. 

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
Not too worried about the legalities. That would be covered before starting. Just wondering what it would look like.
Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline JMcDonald

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
He should only need to register the rifle as an SBR.
I've been kindof wanting to do this, actually. Does anyone know if a frame registered as an SBR could also take shortened shotgun barrels?

*edit*

However, it would still be legally considered a "rifle" so it would be necessary to keep that in mind.

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
You need help Joe...
What you would have to do is file a form 1 http://atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf  (intent to manufacture a nfa item) send in the 200 with it and wait.
You and i both know you would change your mind 5 times before the stamp came back( i probably would too)

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
Another possibility i didnt think about at first was see if you can buy a receiver from h&r, that would be legal to build a pistol from if it was never a rifle. Same thing might be possible if you could buy one without the stock attached and then write atf for a exemption, note that it never had a stock attached. It would have to have a note from the manufacturer that a stock was never attached though, thats what mossberg does on the pistol grip combo guns.

Offline Joe S.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »
i think a stock like this one of CWlongshots would make a great candidate for a pistol stock...

Joe S.
Central MS

redistribute work ethic!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
This isn't a new topic, it's been discussed about a million times, please use the search option, H&R won't sell frames to anyone,  they only sell complete firearms to distributors.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,120234.msg1098401773.html#msg1098401773

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain