Author Topic: Need some quick advice  (Read 582 times)

Offline tguil

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some quick advice
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
I am considering buying muzzleloader for Nebraska's muzzleloader deer season which starts December 1. I need some quick help.  Why the rush?  I messed up one of the fingers on my right hand and I can't draw my bow. I'm an avid hunter who hunts with rifle, bow, shotgun and handgun. I "know" most guns...but not muzzleloaders.  So a bit of help is needed before I head to the local gun shop. I want to keep things as simple as possible.  I'm not concerned about being traditionalist.  I want something that works....quick and easy.

My plans right now are to purchase a CVA Wolf 209 magnum 50 rifle with fixed sights (no time to sight in a scope), Hornady 50 caliber sabots , Hodgdon Triple Se7en pellets, CCI 209 primers, Thompson Center Speed Shots loaders, a bullet starter and a basic cleaning kit.

I'll be hunting in heavy cover and all shots will be at 60 yards or less.  Yes, I plan to shoot the thing before I head to the woods.

Tom

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: Need some quick advice
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:25:36 AM »
Good Choice on the CVA Wolf. My nephew hunted with his yesterday here in Wisconsin. Personally, I would go with the Blackhorn 209 powder and Federal 209 A primers.

That way you can clean the whole deal with Hoppes #9 or similar cleaner. Blackhorn 209 is the cleanest I have used and with good performance. Put a small dab of synthetic grease on the breech plug, screw it in, shoot many times without cleaning/swabbing a thing. Triple 7 has created a "crud" ring in my muzzleloader and I could only load it a couple of times before taking the breechplug out and cleaning the whole mess up.

Good Luck and good hunting.

Offline wardy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »
+1000 on the BH209! That stuff is super clean and super accurate. The CVA Wolf I think would be just fine too, I have the Optima and it shoots the Barnes Expander MZ's pretty good but shoots Thor's like a laser both in the 250gr size with 110gr of Blackhorn underneath and Federal 209a primers.

Offline tguil

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Tom