Author Topic: Hodgdon & IMR compatibility?  (Read 355 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hodgdon & IMR compatibility?
« on: October 29, 2011, 01:29:13 AM »
Are Hodgdon & IMR with the same number interchangable?  For instance H-4895 & IMR 4895.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Hodgdon & IMR compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:02:55 AM »
Definitely not.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:44 AM »
 Nope IMR is hotter,, enough to make a difference. Burn rate charts are available all over the place and it's a good idea to have a copy around the bench and loading books collection.

This brings up a quandary faced by many reloaders (we all started someplace). Load books have short lists for the powder used for any specific bullet in a given caliber,, does this mean those listed powders are the only ones we can use for that application?
 Not really, but it's a good idea to do so until you have plenty of time at the bench. Different burn rates react differently under pressure,, They can "spike" while in the chamber and barrel and have un-desirable results.
 No one powder maker or bullet maker tests all the powders capable of being used. That's why it's a good idea to search several sources for data.
found elsewhere

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:04:54 AM »
I thought as much, but wondered.  I load a fair amount, but still go by the book.  I have seneral books, but I am using the newest Hornady charts since I use a lot of their bullets.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:07:08 AM »
Just go to Hodgdon.com and check for the latest reloading data.  They have Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powder data there.  They have a lot more info than is on the site.  A quick call to them will get you an email with a lot more data on specific loads or components.

One of the reasons I use Hodgdon and IMR powders for almost everything is because of the easy access to current data.

They have a good section on reduced recoil "youth" loads and H 4895 can be loaded to 70% of the max charge for any load listed for reduced loads.  that info is there, too.

Good luck

Lance